30 Day Anitbiotic Prescriptions?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I love Gabby's cardiologist except for her 30 day antibiotic regimens. Actually, she wrote one for 45 days. I just brought Gabby back from his regular vet with a 30 day prescription of Baytril for a pulmonary infection. I'm sure they're following Gabby's previous prescription written by his cardiologist. I'm a ER nurse and we don't sent patients home with 30 day antibiotic prescriptions. Usually, our docs write for 1-2 weeks or sometimes 3 days if they get a Z-pak. I'm trying to be open minded since she's a cardiologist and I'm sure she bases her treatment on research studies.

Anyone else going home with 30 days worth of antibiotics?

very very rarely would our vets ever send home a 30 day regimen...only in cases of severe chance of infection and even then it was more like a precaution...that is so much medicine! not to mention from a vet stand point there is a higher risk of the meds not being remembered that long...i'm sure there is a reason but that seems a little much to me plus i know baytril isnt the cheapest medicine...good luck!

I started to write something but my puter went all bonkazoid.
Now, YES

We have done the 30 day protocol for several things.

One is Lyme. Doxycycline really needs to be done for 30 days.

For some dogs with dental issues and heart issues, I like to keep them on for a bit for pretentative problems with bacteria.

There are a few others we have done for 30 days. Once is Simplecef ? for skin issues. Good stuff.

Manuel,. give him some plain lowfat yogurt while on the antib's... helps with adding good flora and helps with immunities.

Manuel I would follow it, you can also buy chewable flora, either for dogs that I think is liver flavored and also for humans. I would do like Linny says or get the flora in chewable. But, I bet Gabby would love the yoguert.

I've never had an antibiotic script for more than 10 days but it sounds like some others have. Wonder if dogs are succeptible to UTI/yeast infections like humans who are on certain antibiotics for long time?

I had a 30 day anitbiotiv prescription for a dog with skin issues . . . it was some kind of staph infection or whatever, and we used the antibiotics (maybe Cipro??? can't remember) to clear it all up completely.

Morgan used to have awful skin problems when he got older. Seriously - I could go to work and he'd be fine but I'd come home and he would have red oozing sores. Just that fast. Left alone for a few days to get the vet appointment and he'd be miserable and near bald. Stench like you wouldn't believe! MANY emergency vet appointments in his last years but the most Cephalexin they would give me was 3 weeks. A few years later and Max had the same problems and I was allowed to have a one month supply on-hand at all times. I left a previous vet because they only gave me a one week script for Morgan and I had to jump thru hoops to get every week of treatment afterwards. He NEEDED a 3 week run - what the heck's the question?!

Back