9 Week old English Cocker Spaniel Too Small?

AllieC

Hi guys! My little guy is 9 weeks old Today and at his last vet's visit on Wednesday 9/16 only weighed in at about 3 pounds. I've looked at weight charts online and they state he should be at 6lbs by now. Could something be wrong with him? We didn't get to meet his parents and he was the last puppy in the litter so I'm not sure if the parents were this tiny. Do the puppies all grow at different rates? Big or little I'd still love him, I'm just worried there could be an underlying problem...

Welcome! What did your Vet say about his overall health? Did you contact your breeder to see what he/she says about his weight?
Has he been wormed?

Well when he went in the next day we did find out he had kennel cough, he had coughed through the night on Tuesday. The vet gave him some clavamox and injected some fluids into him because she said he was a little dehydrated. Since then he has been eating and drinking like crazy and very playful..almost like he was never sick except the occasional cough he still has.
The vet didn't seemed concerned with his weight or anything else. She just did tests for parvo, dewormed him again, and injected the fluids.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a cocker at this weight for this age?

upload_2015-9-21_13-14-57.png
Here's a picture of little Gizmo :)

Also the breeder stopped answering my calls and texts after I told her he had kennel cough. Horrible breeder...It seems she has changed her phone number as well so I really cant even get in contact with her anymore.

Welcome! There's no way to know whether he's a good weight just by knowing age/weight. Just like you cant say a 21 yo who weighs 150lbs is a 'good' or 'bad' weight. Perhaps the person is 5ft 0 with a slight frame. Perhaps they are 5ft 10 with a heavy frame. One could be obese, just right or even underweight.

New puppies are frequent visitors to the vets' office so ask your vet or perhaps your breeder.

Please post a pic when you can so we can all get a puppy fix. :)

He's cute. I'm looking for an English cocker myself. Thought I had found a breeder near me only to learn that they had been arrested and had been basically a puppy mill.

I dont have an english cocker but I do have an american who is comically small. Both parents were normal size and she was the same size as all her litter mates. I actuslly didn't notice until she was about a year and a half old and my groomer mentioned she looked like she was 6months old. Penny is a beloved house pet and won't ever be a show champion so we never worried about her miniature stature because shes in other wise good health.

If your dogs happy and healthy I wouldn't stress about the growth guidelines too much. If I put into an online calculator her breed, age(33) and weight (20lbs) it would tell me shes severly malnourished but at her last visit the vet told us she could stand to lose about 2 lbs. Bottom line; not everyone fits into the one size fits all shirt!

Hello,

I have a small Cocker spaniel as well. Worrying a bit that she might be too small.... She is now 10 weeks and weights 1kg750gr (3,85 lb). Is this normal? Should I worry? Her mum's a small dog and weights about 10kg (22lb)
12346437_10153026672066706_5948080840094062847_n.jpg

Welcome. You have a cute puppy. I wouldn't worry as long as she is healthy with a good appetite. You can take her to the vet so he/she can give you his/her professional opinion.

Back