rescue A Christmas surprise

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
I got to looking a little closer at the pups since Minnie's now ok with 'me' being there and realizes I'm not taking them away. I started looking at the more black girl and noticed her cheeks. Looked like there was gray there. Then got to REALLY looking harder at her and SHE'S A MERLE TOO.
So then I picked up Frosty. OMG HE ALSO IS A MERLE.
So we have an all Merle litter here. Man, as much as I don't particularly like Merle, it'll be interesting to see their colors change and if any potential health problems pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robin, Is Minnie a Merle? If she isn't, could she still carry the Merle gene?.....The babies can't help it if they are Merle...They will be altered and won't be able to reproduce. There was a little Merle cocker at one of the obedience trials I attended with MiMi and she was so "on the mark" with her performance. Really a good working little girl....very small!

So you have a blue Merle, a red Merle, and what other types or varieties. I don't know anything about the colors.....It will be interesting to see what color the eyes are.

Let's hope and pray there aren't health problems. Joyce

I know the babies can't help it but the BREEDER sure could! Minnie is not a merle so in that case the pups' father was one as one of the parents has to be to reproduce it. That's the only way it's passed on.

It will be very interesting to keep up with the puppies via pictures and your stories. I do hope the puppies avoid any of the heaalth problems of Merles also. Frankly I'm have not suprise at what the "breeder" at that hell hole would do. I'm sure that with Minnie's small stature the "breeder" could get lots of extra money for "minature merle cockers, extremely rare." Of course no mention would be made of the health problems that many merles experience and the fact that they do not meet the breed standard.

Oh I didn't know they carry health problems. What problems do they have? I have always loved the looks of the Merle.

Awww, but is this only if they get blue eyes. I keep reading, I wonder if they will have blue eyes.

Not just blue eyes though and most merles do have them if even just one. I have seen a few merles that neither eyes were blue and breeders have to really watch out for those cuz if you don't see the Merle pattern on them they're hard to identify and then if bred to another Merle----- BIG NONO as you're more than doomed to have pups with health probs since you've doubled up on the problems. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.

Oh no, I was asking because I didn't know. I knew you would, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. That's very interesting. I guess this is why Merle's aren't very common or popular? They look nice though haha

Well unfortunately they're getting popular as there being marketed as rare. ASC is attempting to educate the public about them tho and recently got AKC to agree to 'mark' them as part of a 'z' list to identify them and their progeny to aid those that do decide to breed them so they might not breed Merle to Merle at least and so as not to let the gene come into our gene pool without our knowledge since it can be hidden.
I just didn't want to sound bad is all. I think the color is pretty, I just don't desire it in my line.

I'm glad the AKC is taking steps to educate the public about breeding merles.

I am not fond of the color but I had no idea about any of this, thank you for the infromation. I know when we were looking for a pup I saw some for sale but can't remember where. Hope all will be well for them.

yeah, that's what I worry about, the double merle issue causes blindness, deaf pups and other medical issues.

Happens a lot with double dapple doxies.

We have had a merle or two, one did have blue eyes. We named her crystal blue and she's a member here :-D

So, when you do their tails and dews, and get them to vet for a check up, they can check hearing and eyes. I have a few little toys I use to check for hearing and a laser pointer on the floor to check for sight. Every day they will change, it'll be fun to bug to for new pictures. :-D

I'm glad the AKC is taking steps to educate the public about breeding merles.

The thing is Manuel that AKC was resisting ASC's suggestion if the 'z' list. Mainly because there's a dog breeding it started with that is common to a lot of our 'now' AKC cockers including show lines. They agreed to only start now affixing 'z' to their registry numbers and not going back to the two it started with as it would make quite a few dogs ineligible to be shown. They will not allow now any 'z' dogs to show in conformation.
Someone in my dog club has now gotten 'me' wondering about Minnie Mouse and whether she's a phantom Merle. Oh lord. Guess the next time I groom her I'll have to look closer to see as with her longer hair it's hard to tell and I wasn't really looking for the pattern before and it's not really obvious if she is. Her eyes are a light yellow as in some chocolates and not green or blue. Darn.

Robin, I think when you put her in her puppy cut, you probably shaved her belly, right? You would have seen the spots on her belly if she has any marking there. Her brown gene can give her lighter eyes. We have had browns with yellow/gold/green eyes and everything inbetween.

Anyhow, if she is a merle, then perhaps that where the pups got it from. Lets not jump the gun thinking it's a double merle issue till you have the pups vetted, after they open their little peepers.

:)
Even if they are doubles there's nothing that can be done. They are what they are LOL.
Glad u made it back. You had 'me' worried yesterday about beanie.

Robin, I can see where the "Z" (beginning now) would at least help keep Merle out of lines, but what secrets have been kept with lines that are ongoing. The little obedience dog that I was talking about was there the year before and I asked the owner if she was a Merle and you would have thought I was the "enemy".....She immediate ask me why I wanted to know. Merles can compete in performance, but I can only imagine the lines that could have merle in them. It is truly a worry with the health problems creeping up or glaring one in the face.

I can understand breeders not wanting them in their lines, and even though I love animals and cockers particularly, I wouldn't choose to own one. We have enough health problems as it is trying our best to keep everything as healthy as possible.

It will be interesting and informative as these babies grow up. They are precious and I am glad they had a chance to survive. Let's pray they have no effects of the potential health problems that haunt the merle.

Thanks Robin, for the information.....keep educating...that's the only way we become better informed. Joyce

I think Merels can be very pretty. HOWEVER, I do not believe they should be bred. Pretty is one thing, good health is another. I will always go for good heath for the present dog and future generations over interesting looks.

These puppies are here. Everyone will be fixed so no harm for future generations. I am hoping they will be very healthy and I know they will find homes where they will be very loved.

As far as ongoing lines, the phantom merles are the ones we need to watch out for as Merle has to be bred to pass on the gene (a direct parent(s) has to be one) so it can be eradicated but would take true diligence but that'll never happen as long as there are people that breed them knowingly or unknowingly and buyers to buy them.

Back