Advice on adding new cocker pup

Lola

Owned by
1 cocker
We are going to see our boy tonight. He is 5 months old American Cocker Spaniel, sweetheart, so if all good we will have new family member tonight! I am so excited!!!:D

Could you please help me with next?
1. Lola is not in the crate any more (for 2 months now), should we still use create for new puppy?
2. If Lola will get jealous and will not be very friendly with new puppy in the beginning, should we get involved and tell Lola “no” or they should find the peace by themselves without us?
3. Should we put them sleep in the same place? Lola has her corner, where she has a bad and her toys, so for the new puppy, should we pick another corner in the house?

Thank you so much for helping me with info!

Are you taking Lola with you? I think its somewhat important to see how they get along initially before you even get the new boy home. If they hate each other, then you know there will obviously be problems. However, if they get along and want to play, the adjustment for both will be much easier. Since they are both young, I tend to think that things should be fine for the most part. Just go with the flow...never leave them alone at first.. and be cautious of things like toys and bones and how they react when they both want the same one... and they WILL both want the same one.. lol and make any adjustments as necessary. Before you know it, they will be conspiring together as to who will keep watch while the other goes after that roll of toilet paper.. :naughty: Good luck!

Good advice Mike! I took Monte with me when I adopted Charlie thinking Monte would be the one I would have problems with. Took a crate for Charlie since I didn't want the possibility of a fight in the car. Poo...Monte - who usually sits quite peacefully on the passenger seat, insisted on sitting right next to Charlie's crate all the way home! Monte liked at Charlie and sniffed him but mostly just hovered over him. Cannot imagine the discussions they were having! :)

We went to see two boys, both 4.5 months old gorgeous American Cockers (there owner didn’t like the idea of us bringing Lola for a visit, so we didn’t).

After seeing American Cocker Spaniel (it was first time I actually hold pure breed American Cocker) me and my husband realized that our Lola is definitely not a pure breed and we come to conclusion that she is American Cocker/King Charles Cavalier mix. That explains why I didn’t do a single haircut for her as of yet.

• Two pups we saw live in the country and they are scared of collar and leash, which is huge problem for us, as Lola and I go for daily 1 hour walk (most times she is not even on the leash as she never go farther then 1 step ahead of me) and it will definitely take long time for new puppy to get used to collar.
• Boys would not come close to us and just followed there mom all that time, they were very shy and scared of us and another big problem is that they are not housetrained to go outside the house, but on the paper inside.

Since I am at work all day full time and all the work with puppy will be on my husband, who work from home, we initially wanted to adapt older puppy (4 -5 months), but definitely the one who trained at least a little and knows how to walk on the leash and will not poop all over the house, because he is paper trained. I am not sure how to explain that, but we felt zero connection with those two pups (and I felt bad abut it and guilty:uhh:) and considering all the above, we didn’t take one home.

I am thinking that maybe we should take a little puppy ( 12 weeks) and trained the way we did Lola ( she is unbelievable that way and she even learned to ring the bell when she want to go outside and “do her business” + she never runs away from us to chase bird or another dog, always stay close and I do trust her that way) ,but my husband don’t want to do all the work again as he did with baby Lola and I can’t force him, that is why I thought older puppy will be better option, but how do we find the one for us:uhh:?

Last edited:
Lola:

I think that you made a wise decision in not taking a puppy home with you.

I'm not trying to be negative, but if you didn't get good "vibes" from this breeder, then the situation wasn't right. Is this a reputable breeder that has all parents OFA and CERF tested? What were the conditions that the puppies were kept?

Please don't think that I am discouraging you from getting another Cocker, but it is really important to be getting one from a reputable breeder.:)

Pups was kept in the house and it was 10 of them (at least) we were not invited to the house, but lady brought two pups and mum outside.

The pure bread fact is not the most important for me. I got Lola from pet store, I hold her and we “clicked” right away. A lot of people were saying that I should get dog from good breeder, but what about those pore things in pet stores? I felt terrible for them…hopefully all the stores will be not eligible to sell animals any more…but until then, well, I foul in love with my Lola right away and she is the smartest girl ever !

Her paperwork says “ American Cocker Spaniel” and she did look like one ( well to me at least) when she was 12 weeks old, but now I see she isn’t 100% American Cocker, but still it doesn’t matter much to me.

I love how adorable Cockers looks and there fun loving personality , so I didn’t really research the breeder, just went to see pups and unfortunately it didn’t feel like we connected with them, maybe because there are older then Lola was , I am not sure…

If I was buying a puppy, I would make sure the puppy's parents were OFA and Cerf tested. This would help protect the puppy from the risk of some of the inherited conditions that can be prevelent in cocker spaniels. I would be very concerned that the puppies, at that age weren't in the process of being house trained, didn't interact with me, and were scared of a collar. I have never adopted a second puppy but with Riley who we got from Pam and Lauren's Eloise who was from the shelter, they WANTED our other dogs present to meet the potential new family member. This puppy should have had all its shots so they should want to make sure the two dogs got along. I had never goten a new full grown dog before Riley, always a new puppy, but I felt a connection with him right away. I think you were smart to leave.

I think you Lola is a Cocker, but you are probably not used to seeing them in her colors. SHe's a tri -- and has a lovely smaller muzzle than some of the cockers out there.

About the boys: Sounds like this breeder hasn't done any socializing with them.

I think an older pup would be wiser. Keep looking, and since you are in Canada, perhaps Kelly can help with some breeder referals.

I think you Lola is a Cocker, but you are probably not used to seeing them in her colors. SHe's a tri -- and has a lovely smaller muzzle than some of the cockers out there.

Thank you :)

I would be very concerned that the puppies, at that age weren't in the process of being house trained, didn't interact with me, and were scared of a collar.

Yes that was very suspicious to me as well...Pore things, they were trying to shake the collar off and were pulling so hard:'( I just wanted to stop that madness...

I agree with what Linny and Karen have said. And, maybe Kelly can get you in touch with some breeders/show kennels. And maybe Gina and Robin will know some also.

I will say that I have always, always had rescues. But, my dream was to have a retired show dog some day. When Robin trusted me with Stormy, it was my dream come true. The difference in a well bred dog and my rescues is sometimes subtle, sometimes not :(...

But I love the idea of knowing his background, who his breeder was, and his actual date of birth and age. I have never regretted my choice and will do it again in a heartbeat.

I wanted to add that I wish I was better with pictures because my Riley is a smaller cocker and is also a Tri with a smaller muzzle. Riley is very much a cocker spaniel.

We are going to see 2 years old male today. Pure breed, lived with the breeder for first year, then the lady brought him to her house (she also had another dog, which recently died) and now she is reallocating and can’t take him with her.

I wonder how fast dogs at this age adjusting to new people and new family. He is not spayed (Lola had her surgery)…I don’t know if that would be a problem???

Do you think he will be ok with us and will not miss his owners for too long? I know puppies cry a lot, and I saw my sister dog been so devastated when I dog sit him, because he would miss my sister and wouldn’t even go sleep and wouldn’t eat.

Lola
I think two years old is a perfect age! Young enough to be puppy like and to play and old enough to be settled. You are a good judge. You will know if the cocker will fit in your family.:)

We rehome all sorts of ages of dogs.

You will want to get him neutered though. It's much healthier for him, and will help with the marking if he has issues like that.

I love that age -- fun fun fun

Good luck

Back