Aggressive behavior

Eggs are ace!

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, so please bare with me!

I have a 9 year old male Cocker, hes an amazing dog, I love him so much........

But I am becoming increasingly worried about his aggressive behavior, over the last 12 months he has developed possession aggression, not sure how or what triggered this in him, I've tried ignoring the bad behavior and rewarding good behavior, tried removing him from the room away from the rest of the family.....but no avail.

We have 2 children(3 and 7) and he is great with them, but he is constantly nicking toys, socks, pens, paper, anything he can get hold of.........

He has bitten me a few times and its getting worse, tonight he didn't 'nick' anything but was doing the aggressive thing, my 7 year old was scared out of his wits............. I removed the dog from the room and was lucky not to get a bite to be honest.

What can I do?

Please help

I would get your dog first to your vet for an evaluation to be sure it isn't something physical, then, to an animal behaviorist as fast as possible. We all love our cockers so much, but, you need to get to the bottom of this and not put your children at risk. I hope you can help your little boy.

I would get your dog first to your vet for an evaluation to be sure it isn't something physical, then, to an animal behaviorist as fast as possible. We all love our cockers so much, but, you need to get to the bottom of this and not put your children at risk. I hope you can help your little boy.

I agree with Polly, it could be a lot of things medically or mentally. A visit to the vet's is a great place to start. If the vet finds nothing medically wrong then a behaviorist is next on the list.

Even though your children have not been bitten yet, I would take precautions to keep it from happening.

Good luck.

Hi I am new to this site, I have been searching and searching to be able to talk to anyone about my cocker. She is 4 years old, we have had her as a puppy. She can be extremely aggressive to our other pets, just attack them for no reason at all. I also have a yourkiepoo who is almost 6 and a kitten who will be 1 in October. Bele has attacked everyone of them for no reason, and when we grab her while she is attacking we have to grab her by the back of the of the neck and take her up to her crate for awhile. We have more days that are good then bad, but this should not happen at all. I just don't know what to do with her. She is very tiny for a cocker, smaller then her siblings, and she is a beautiful try color, but she can be mean as can be, even have bitten my kids at one time or another. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2
First have your dog checked out by your vet to see if there are any health issues. If there are none, and even if there are, you could try working with a trainer. I really love dogs but the issue I have is that your dog has already bitten your kids. That isn't good and what would happen if you weren't close enough to stop her right away? One of your kids could be seriously hurt. Plus what if one of your children has a friend over and that friend is attacked? This isn't a good situation.

I totally agree with you on that!! She has been to vet for regular checkups, so nothing wrong with her their, she just gets crabby and when she does I can tell, and other times I have no clue. But I do not want a dog that attacks the other animals or even the kids.
Would a trainer be able to help with this? I just don't know what to do?

Just to be safe I would have her seen by the vet again. Something may have changed health-wise since she was last seen. A trainer would definitely help if this is a behavior issue.

I totally agree with you on that!! She has been to vet for regular checkups, so nothing wrong with her their, she just gets crabby and when she does I can tell, and other times I have no clue. But I do not want a dog that attacks the other animals or even the kids.
Would a trainer be able to help with this? I just don't know what to do?
Yes if for no other reason, you do need to have her evaluated by a professional ASAP for her safety and the safety of your family and yourself.

Thank you!!! This has gone on for years, she used to be really bad doing it daily. But now it might only happen once a month or even longer. I just hate it.

Back