rescue Aggressive little Merlin!

sab3mmom

Owned by
2 cockers
This is getting harder and harder. Merlin is a beautiful little poop-head! He's in his crate right now after leaving a nice little gash in my leg as I was breaking up yet another fight between him and Coco. I had to take the magazine I was reading last night and wave it at him as he growled at me when I tried to move him in MY bed! Snapped at me twice but held back so I think he has the potential to be ok. Am beginning to know why his previous owners let him go...it's not because they moved into a apartment at all - it's probably because they have a cat and I bet he tried his dangest to kill that cat. Guessing Mozart knows better than I do in that Mozie has never warmed up to the little guy. He steers totally clear of him even though he's a good near twice his size. Merlin should be an only pet I'm thinking... Not giving up but could use some suggestions.

Oh no Sharon!
I'm so sorry he's showing some signs of aggression. I know Kelly and Gina and Linny, when she is back online, will have more to say. I think the fight with Coco or one of your other crew could be easier to break up if you get one of those power soaker water guns the Linny loves so much. What concerns me is his behavior while on the bed. I do put up with a little nasty behavior with my little Pepper.. on the bed, we make sure the overs are always there, we move him with the covers. He still sleeps with us, our little troubled boy, he hates to be woken up, everytime I get up during the night he "grumbles", in fact that is Michael's favorite nick name for him. I hope that with time Merlin can show signs of improvement.

I'm glad you're okay. I know breaking up a fight is tough. The dogs completely ignore you then bite 'cause your in the way. I'm sure Merlin is a good guy: he just has blinders on when he's fighting. The supersoaker is a good idea like Polly says. Gabby has my undivided attention with a bucket of water. You could also try those loud horns fans use at games.

Sharon, I would immediately start a NILIF program with him (http://www.k9deb.com). He should not be allowed to be on the bed until he treats you with a bit more respect. I'm all for dogs in the bed, trust me, but if he's being snarky, it means he's being possessive. There's no point putting him in that situation unless you're okay with being bitten again. Otherwise, try to manage situations to avoid dog bites so that it's not an issue. I would have him sleeping in a crate or an ex-pen during the night, so that you can avoid any issues with the bed.

Yes, keep a super soaker or "fan horn" close by to break up dog fights. Some dogs just get really ticked off at being sprayed by water, and fight harder, so you need to figure that out. You can also throw a quilt over the fighting dogs . . . they will often stop when they can no longer see. If you intend to grab fighting dogs (and I NEVER recommend that - it's a sure way to get bit), grab the hind legs and lift - then the dog can't reach you to bite. Do not grab behind the neck, you'll get nailed on the arm or wrist.

A few good books - "Click to Calm" by Emma Parsons or "How To Right A Dog Gone Wrong" by Pam Dennison. They are both absolutely excellent books on dealing with aggression. I highly recommend finding a behaviorist to work with, as aggression is very touchy to deal with. Expert help can do a lot for you.

Thanks Kelly. I've been working with him with the NILIF since I got him home. I need to step up my efforts so I'm gonna re-read that article for sure! Fortunately, he's not as bad as Maxwell was and does not fight the others - just Coco. I'm mostly trying to figure ways to protect Coco since he's too old to fight for himself. At a loss on that one other than to crate Coco when Merlin's out and about.

OMG - that article was hilarious! I printed it and was reading it to myself at work and could not stop giggling! Great ideas in there and we are definitely gonna be busy little bees! After nearly a month working with Merlin on the sit before eating he finally got it today after I fed Mozie first and made him go thru his routine of sit and paw twice. Even Monte sat for his supper! I think it's one good day and then three bad ones but we'll see. Today I also for the first time used the ignore factor on all the little heathens in the kitchen as I was preparing their supper. They usually put up such a noise that it actually hurts my ears and I spend soooo much time saying HUSH that patience wears thin. Well I used the advice in the article and ignored them and they actually shut up all on their own! No clawing at my cabinets even! OK - I'm liking this already! :)

Wow Sharon! That is progress! A big Congrats to you. I know what you mean about one step forward and (4) steps back LOL... Keep us posted!^_^

I won't give up on my little speckled one at all. He's no where near as bad as Maxwell was and we did ok. The confrontation with Coco was under the dining table. Sure was not gonna reach down while bending down to grab the offending one so I put my foot between them. Merlin didn't mean to get me - he meant to get Coco. Better a gash on my leg than a hit on Coco. Coco's gonna be 14 this month. He doesn't need grief from a little alpha wanna-be. I'm taking great pains to keep them separate right now and may look into getting an X-pen for Coco but he likes his crate so...that might be easier.

Back