allergies need new dog food!

My 2 boys

Owned by
2 cockers
Hi everyone. My little Buster went to the vet yesterday and has a bacterial infection in his left ear. He had cronic ear infections and the vet said there is a good possibilty he has allergies. He said I should switch his food or make my own (rice & lamb). I'm not sure where to purchase ground lamb (i live in Phoenix). I was wondering if anyone could suggest a new dog food. Both my boys have been eating beneiful original for years. I think it's time to switch. Any ideas would be great! Thank you

Welcome. Thanks for joining us. I'm not sure. Maybe one of our other members knows. :huh:

if you have a feed store of pet boutique sort of place, try to find:

California Natural Lamb & Rice (kibble and canned)

or

Nutra Source Lamb & Rice

both are very good foods but you can't find them in grocery store or Petco/Petsmart.

If you found some lamb on sale, can always make a stew out of it with other healthy ingredients like oats, green beans, carrots, etc. in a crock pot and cook it till it falls apart.

Hi, My Domino had allergies, having ear infections and chewing his paws until they were soaked.
My vet had me change his food to venison and sweet potato. He has been on this food for almost a year. He has not had any ear problems and his paws are always dry. Some of the Vets carry this food, but if you can find it in a pet store/feed store am sure the price will be better. BTW, I live in Surprise!
We were at the vet for Domino's shots and she checked his ears and said they looked great. I try to check them every few days, too.
Hope this helps you and Buster.

Joyce, What is the brand name of the venison & Potato food Domino eats? This sounds like something Buster would enjoy! We went looking for new food today and I was overwhelmed by the different brands out there. We are almost neighbors I live in Vistancia and work in Surprise! Thank you!:)

I work at Petsense (corporate headquarters are in AZ) and they have a food I feed called Wellness and I feed the fish and sweet potato recipe. It has no wheat, corn or soy in it. All my dogs that have had allergies prior to feeding this (except for Asha who now has a sensitive tummy) are now chew and itch free. Ears also cleared up as well as the "red hair" allergy feet.

Joyce, What is the brand name of the venison & Potato food Domino eats? This sounds like something Buster would enjoy! We went looking for new food today and I was overwhelmed by the different brands out there. We are almost neighbors I live in Vistancia and work in Surprise! Thank you!:)

The brand of food we use is Dick Van Patten's Venison and Sweet Potato. It is grain free and Domino loves it, even dry. There are treats with the same ingredients if you like to have treats. Don't think PetsMart carries Dick Van Patten. I get our food at the Dog Washing store, It is out Bell past 303 and in the same complex as the Safeway. Not sure, that may be to far out for you all. I believe the Stock Shop on Thunderbird carries and also Dale's Feed Store on Wadell near the Fry's Market.
I'm really happy with the results, since Domino has been eating this food. The Vet also commented on his eyes also. Seems he always had gunk in them and I had noticed that was better, but had not thought about it being from his food.
I live in Sun City Grand, I'm retired. Where do you work in Surprise? Guess we are almost neighbors.:)

Grain Free Food like Wellness or Eagle Pack

I'm on Wellness which you can buy at Petco. The good thing is that if you buy 10 bags, you get one for free...but don't worry you don't have to buy them all at once. If you register with Wellness, you will receive monthly coupons as well. The less artificial ingredients, the better.

Mommy wrote an article on Wellness on the Houston Dogs Examiner. You can read it here.

Eagle Pack is another good brand (lamb and rice are grain free) but they're harder to find.

Going with a grain-free diet (e.g. Eagle Pack, Wellness) is the healthier option.

I used to have ear infections all the time but my mommy mixed alcohol (the stuff you apply to wounds, not the stuff you drink), white vinegar and now I never get them. Just mix those ingredients equally and store in Tupperware. Dab a cotton ball into the mixtures, drain the excess in each ear and massage for 60 seconds. Then wipe with a clean cotton ball and the ears are clean!

Hi everyone. My little Buster went to the vet yesterday and has a bacterial infection in his left ear. He had cronic ear infections and the vet said there is a good possibilty he has allergies. He said I should switch his food or make my own (rice & lamb). I'm not sure where to purchase ground lamb (i live in Phoenix). I was wondering if anyone could suggest a new dog food. Both my boys have been eating beneiful original for years. I think it's time to switch. Any ideas would be great! Thank you

My Wolfie had severe ear infections that eventually led to an ear ablation (removal of the ear canal). He was put on a prescription diet, ID Venison & Potato which was obtained at the vet. It can also be purchased online with an RX and it can be shipped to you. Possibly your vet or another vet in your area will have it or will order it for you. I purchase all meds at another vet as he's cheaper than my vet, same with the food. They don't have a problem coming in with a RX from another vet. Keep in mind, and I speak from personal experience, once you put your dog on a food designed for food sensitive dogs, do not give one morsal of anything else to your dog. Not a biscuit, not a tiny piece of anything. I had to stop the heartworm meds because of the "beef" flavoring. One morsal of anything other than the special food can trigger the ear infection again if the dog is allergic to something in the food. It can be misleading if he is on the food and you see another ear infection surfacing. It can take two months or more for the allergent to come out of your dogs system, so don't expect or get discouraged if the ear infection continues to surface. Another thing I would like to point out, and I probably sound like a broken record to many who know me here with ear infections, however, your dog may have multiple allergies and not be limited to just food. It could be environmental, grass, dust mites, etc. that is causing this infection. Or.....if could be the food. Or........both!! Yes, it could be multiple allergies. The food change could take a couple of months, allergy testing could take a week. Personally, I would get the dog allergy tested and eliminate the speculation of environmental while working on the food change.

Wolfie was allergic to food and dust mites and required a life time regement of injections, which I learned to administer. It got too expensive having the vet do it. He was allergic to, beef, chicken...chicken was the killer, soy, pork and the list went on and dust mites. He got his injections, ate only ID Venison and potato and it saved him from losing his other ear canal and he became pain free.....and so was I.

Never allow a vet to give you medication without doing an ear culture. If medication is given, follow up ear cultures should be done to monitor the progress or lack of progress the medication is performing.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to e-mail me. Best wishes!

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr....Honorary cocker members

Poor Wolfie

My Wolfie had severe ear infections that eventually led to an ear ablation (removal of the ear canal). He was put on a prescription diet, ID Venison & Potato which was obtained at the vet. It can also be purchased online with an RX and it can be shipped to you. Possibly your vet or another vet in your area will have it or will order it for you. I purchase all meds at another vet as he's cheaper than my vet, same with the food. They don't have a problem coming in with a RX from another vet. Keep in mind, and I speak from personal experience, once you put your dog on a food designed for food sensitive dogs, do not give one morsal of anything else to your dog. Not a biscuit, not a tiny piece of anything. I had to stop the heartworm meds because of the "beef" flavoring. One morsal of anything other than the special food can trigger the ear infection again if the dog is allergic to something in the food. It can be misleading if he is on the food and you see another ear infection surfacing. It can take two months or more for the allergent to come out of your dogs system, so don't expect or get discouraged if the ear infection continues to surface. Another thing I would like to point out, and I probably sound like a broken record to many who know me here with ear infections, however, your dog may have multiple allergies and not be limited to just food. It could be environmental, grass, dust mites, etc. that is causing this infection. Or.....if could be the food. Or........both!! Yes, it could be multiple allergies. The food change could take a couple of months, allergy testing could take a week. Personally, I would get the dog allergy tested and eliminate the speculation of environmental while working on the food change.

Wolfie was allergic to food and dust mites and required a life time regement of injections, which I learned to administer. It got too expensive having the vet do it. He was allergic to, beef, chicken...chicken was the killer, soy, pork and the list went on and dust mites. He got his injections, ate only ID Venison and potato and it saved him from losing his other ear canal and he became pain free.....and so was I.

Never allow a vet to give you medication without doing an ear culture. If medication is given, follow up ear cultures should be done to monitor the progress or lack of progress the medication is performing.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to e-mail me. Best wishes!

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr....Honorary cocker members

Wow, sorry to hear about all of Wolfie's problems. Poor Wolfie.

P.S. I used to live with a Wolfie who was adopted last year.

Wow, sorry to hear about all of Wolfie's problems. Poor Wolfie.

P.S. I used to live with a Wolfie who was adopted last year.

My Wolfie went to the bridge (sniff) three years ago. Anyone dealing with ear infections has my compassion for I know all too well the pain these dogs can endure.

All the best best with your Wolfie!

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr......Honorary Cocker Members

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I bought my boys Natural Balance lamb & rice and they love it! This is a wonderful forum and I'm so glad I found you all!:)

I also feed Natural Balance grain free small bites to Sophie & Sadie. They love it and are doing great. I tried every grain-free food out there and either one of them didn't like it or they didn't do well on it.

HI

I read this thread, because my Fleur had a blood test which showed she is allergic to wheat, barley, chicken, pork, and carrot the main food, which rules out nearly ever food except Eukanua F & P which is really expensive. I was reading about wellness, does anyone know if it is in Australia and does it contain chicken.

I was on EAgle Pack Sardine,Anchovey etc one, but it has carrot and aspergellius (can't remember how you spell it) both of which she is allergice too, The thing is most dry foods have chicken base or chicken fat in it to boost up the fat content

Thanks

Wellness Allergy Formulas are available without chicken. Their site offers locations in USA and Canada not Australia. I would check with some of your larger pet chains to be sure.

i sent wellness an email and they said the do not export internationally at the moment, but will pass it on, its a pity because there are 2 types there that suit my Fleur, better than the products here in AUstralia.

Mine had a lot of fur problems so I put him on Life Abundance. It is a miracle food! And although it cost a little more than usual food he hasn't had to go to the vet so I take it as a wash!

A Few Months Late...

I'm currently in school to be a Licensed Veterinary Technician, and I was educated in the Hill's Science Diet foods. There's a prescription food that's been clinically proven to help with allergy problems that they list as "z/d" (low-allergin and ultra) and "d/d". d/d comes in rice and egg, potato and duck, potato and venison, or potato and salmon formulas. Both z/d and d/d are indicated for canines that have adverse reactions to food, but d/d is also used if your dog has inflammatory skin conditions. I'd recommend just simply asking your vet what they'd see fit. Hill's Science Diet can't be found at grocery stores; you'd have to travel to Petco, PetSmart, and a lot of veterinary clinics sell Hill's, too (probably for a good reason ^_^). Hope this is of some value to somebody. :)

Back