Always looks dirty...

s.mikkelsen

Owned by
2 cockers
My little girl Chex, is a black and white parti. Given that she's about to start her time in the confirmation ring I'm super concerned about the way she looks and am trying to make sure, with just a few short weeks to go, she'll look her best. Lately I've noticed even after she's just been bathed and blow dryed, her paws look dirty!!! She gets 2-3 rounds/rinses of shampoo in the tub depending on how dirty she is (I'm using K-9 competition, aleo vera) and a round of conditioner that I let sit for about a min maybe 2 if I can distract her long enough, then she's rinsed in cooler water and then time for blow dry. When she's in the tub, and she's being rinsed the water is rinsing clear so I know she's clean and there no question that the fur is clean but it looks like its maybe stained? If thats the case any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks :)

I use a whitener on my ASCOBs I find that it helps with dirty looking paws. That might be a thought. It really cleans well, stains go away. Good luck on Chex's shows.

Oh and I have seen handlers powder the dogs before going in the ring. That helps for urine stains on the males.

You can also instead of a whitener is 50/50 dawn dish soap (original) And let it sit for about 10 min. A little show trick.

Last edited:
Whitening shampoo makes a huge difference. One of my friends teased me that my dig looked "way less retro."

After using the dawn on Tanz's paws,blowdry and while they are still damp,put cornstarch in the hair....let dry then brush and blow out the extra power with dryer on days before show :)

Hmmmmm. Will have to try this trick Zoe' is a little dirt magnet, we call her "pigpen". . Hannah who has white feet can go out and dig for rocks in the garden and still she keeps her white feet. Zoe' only has to think about going off the patio and wham!!

Thanks, I'll have to try these :) she's like zoe, all she has to do is look outside and her paws are dirty....

I have mini horses,they come from a farm that shows all over the US and she shows many white and grey horses. She has tried every shampoo and every concoctions in the book. I love for my girls to have a nice white tail in the summer but could not get them as white as I wanted. She was kind enough to share her show secret with me...her favorite shampoo is Feibings blue whitening shampoo and when you get to the area that has heavy stains on them then add in Woolite. As good as the shampoo is,it is when you add in the Woolite that it really takes out the stains. If I had a Parti I would give it a try on his paws as I know how well it works on white horse hair. If you wanted to try it you could add a "little bit" of Woolite to your shampoo on a sponge and try on Tanz's paws...then rinse,rinse and rinse some more and add conditioner. This is what I use on my minis white tails and manes and it takes out all the stains from the winter and turns their yellow,muddy hair white again.

View attachment 7971 Here is one of her beautiful little guys showing and took first place this day :)

Thank you Polly :) He is a half brother to one of my girls. She has tried and tried to get me to show and as much as I would love to, we just do not have the time. Show season starts up in a couple of weeks and runs through early fall.

I'm surprised that Woolite is ok on animals. In the vintage clothing community, I've been taught to avoid it for the harsh detergents.

Very nice looking mini, Kathy. I've seen so many that are not proportioned correctly, so it's nice to see one that is.

Deborah....it is just one of those hidden little secrets of showing...lol You dilute it very mild in your shampoo and use it just on the area that has stains on it and rinse very well. Not for the entire coat just to remove grass,urine and hard stains...like a spot treatment. It is something you use only to get ready for the ring.

Back years ago before there were all the blue shampoos for white dogs my Mom use to mix a little blue clothes dye in her shampoo and make her own for partis. That was over 30 years ago. It is amazing some of the things that is come up with when showing. This was something you really had to be careful using or you ended up with green spots on your dog.

Last edited:
When my parents showed OES , back in the day, they actually used to use bluing, very diluted, on the dogs to help whiten the white on their coats. Someone we knew didn't cut the bluing enough and ended up with a blue and gray OES. :lol:

That's funny Karen...I can just see it now!! I think my Mom only used a few drops per bottle but if you did mix it too strong and dyed one blue....it took forever to get it back white again. Awwww...the good old days when things were simple and you did not have to worry about hundreds of brands of products and different types of foods. You could just spend the day with Mom and make your own...lol Dogs were healthier then,lived longer lives and had beautiful coats without spending hundreds on the latest products.

Since she'll never read this I'll tell all of you a secret about my cousin. My cousin still to this day has hair that is that beautiful shade of totally natural white blond hair. When she was about 10 years old her parents put in a swimming pool. Well at that age she wasn't very good about totally rinsing out her hair every time she finished swimming ans she was going into the pool multiple times a day. She began to get green patches on her hair. The other kids in the family began to call her The Green Haired Gnu. My aunt was upset because school was going to start and she couldn't get the green out of my cousin's hair. My grandmother told her to try the bluing. I'm sure you can guess what happened. My cousin ended up with the most beautiful shade of azure blue hair. It took several trips to the hairdresser and I think they actually had to dye her hair a shade of brown to get the blue covered. She hard really strange colored hair for almost a year until it could be cut off and her natural hair color came back.

Back