Any one Resharpen There own Blades

davec921

Owned by
1 cocker
My friend who gave me tabby is now grooming dogs.
She took an online course an now she is working at a few places that are helping her train.
She was talking to me about how they all send there blades out to get resharpened. I asked why.
Well tonight she was helping me trim tabby.
An the one blade She had me using kinda felt dull to me.
She then told me she had tried to use a handihone to resharpen it. Let me tell you. I took one look at it an said get rid of it.

From what I have heard an read on the net every one says its best to have the blades done professionally an that the hollow grind them.
that got me to thinking so I looked at the blades.
I just don't see how they could be hollow ground an still work.

If the two pieces to the blade have a gap between them then how can it cut.
That is what would happen if the are hollow ground.
It is the same way with a pair of hand scissors. If both blades of the scissors don't touch as they are closed an they have a small gap then they don't cut.

So I brought her clippers home an played with them.
I used a machinist flat stone. That is a piece of granite that is ground perfectly flat. I then laid a piece of wet dry sand paper on it. 320 grit.
I used a light honing oil on the paper an used a magnet to hold the blade.
I lightly moved the blade back an forth. After awhile I could see the scratches coming out of it from the handihone.

After I had both parts of the blade done with the 320 I then went to the 600.
After I got done with that the blades were nice an flat an really shine.
all most mirror like.

I laid the two parts of the blade together. With out any oil they slide back an forth. All most gliding over each other. I added a little oil an wrapped them in a paper towel. Ill give them back to her tomorrow an have her try them out this week compared to her other pair she has.

Ill let you all know what she thinks of them.
later
DAVE

Wow Dave!
That's great! Hope they work for her. I have tried sending my blades out to be re-sharpened.. I didn't like the results at all. Since I only do my own dogs, and I don't need blades more than a couple times a year, I just buy new ones.. I like them much better. ^_^

A have a few that could be resharpened. I buy new blades when the old get dull like Polly--seems like a waste. If anyone know of a reliable sharpening service or product, please mention it.

If this works, which I believe it will Ill take pics of the proces an write up a how to on it.
Its not that hard at all. The reason I have the granite block is because I resharpen my wood chisles an hand plane blades. But for any one that wants to try it themselves all you would have to do is get a thick piece of glass from the hard ware store. you would then just get wet or dry sand paper an have at it.

Ill keep you all posted.
DAVE

I DO send mine out to be resharpened but usually it's at the dog shows. I can send them to the company I have do it tho. I'll have to get their address from work tomorrow though as they reimburse me for this. Now my coworker recently took a class in MO at a convention to learn go sharpen. And when she actually starts doing it professionally I'll probably at least try her out. Now at her class I will say that on ceramics ( which I WILL NOT buy) they are more expensive to sharpen as all they do is replace the ceramic piece instead of sharpening as it's too difficult to do. I will say I Do RECOMMEND sending off the scissors as there are two types and one is more difficult to sharpen correctly. It's also more expensive to have sharpened-about double.

We bought one of those sharpening things from a catalog and it sucked. My husband is a machinist and just laughed at it.

I use Frank Rowe - LOVE HIM, he's usually at all the big dog shows and is in PA. I have sent them to him too.

Does a nice job and is honest and will tell me if it's worth it or not to even have the blade sharpened (say, it might have gotten too rusty or something).

He also does my scissors and i buy my scissors from him at the shows if he's having a special.

Linny
Does he repair clippers? I dropped my favorite clipper and broke the on & off switch.. :crybaby:

Years ago I took a pair of clippers to a knife shop and he sharpened the blades for me. I wonder if a place that does hair-dressers sissors or a sewing repair shop could help.

I wouldn't go to a sewing repair shop for sharpening. As for the barber/hairdresser shear sharpener if they know how to do the convex blades or not as they are more difficult and not usually used by hairdressers. If not sharpened correctly, it will ruin them.

Back