rescue Apollo

ApolloShadow

Owned by
2 cockers
I always follow the local animal humane society on my Facebook. Usually I go through the strays, sadly looking at all the poor pups without homes. Until one day I saw this picture.
poundpup.jpg
I didn't know anything. He was a stray, they had no info on the dog, then #281. I had to wait three days before they could even tell me he was a neutered male American Cocker Spaniel. One person I talked to said he was picked up by a known local cocker spaniel breeder who was known for abandoning animals or surrendering them. I had to wait seven days in case he was picked up by an owner. I went and filled out the adoption application, it was approved that afternoon and then I had to wait and wait and wait. Finally, Tuesday July 17th 8AM, I didn't even get a visit with him, they brought him out on a leash, I put on my collar and leash I had brought with me and we went outside.

Previously in my family we'd had a rough collie/german shepherd mix who was a "herder", she was always circling us kids, and protecting our yard.

Next we had a scottie/schnauzer rescue who was very independent. She was loving and followed us, but she had her own agenda. Namely terrorizing the rabbits in our backyard.

Then this little guy came along. He has become my literal shadow. I walk upstairs there's a cold nose on my legs, I get in bed he's already there. I love it. After he was groomed and they removed over 5lbs worth of mats in his hair, and found out SURPRISE he's not neutered. (Believe me, the vet that he saw the day after I adopted him was even baffled)

Actually, speaking of the vet, she's the one who told me she was fairly sure he was a purebred American cocker spaniel, and the only "fault" she could find was he never lost one of his baby canine teeth, so he has an extra canine tooth. Ever since we found out he isn't neutered the humane society figured he did indeed come from that breeder, and because of his condition they are going to go investigate.

Anyway this is a rambling story but I just wanted to share the story of my beautiful boy who despite being abandoned and covered in mats that pulled at his skin, and nails so long they curled under and he could barely walk, he's still the biggest sweetheart who just wants nothing more than to snuggle and be around me all the time. =] I joined the forum to learn more about this new breed of dog that stumbled into my life.

Welcome! I love, love, love your story. They really do pick us, don't they? I, too, had a number of other breeds/mixes over the years and loved them all, but never like Winnie. I will never not have a cocker spaniel again! You will find this group so lovely and helpful!

Hi Paige! What a sad story, with a happy ending. So looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Hi, Paige,
Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of Apollo. I am so glad that you and Apollo found each other.

283665_10151056163624089_990798446_n.jpgHis second favorite place that isn't on top of me... my bed.

532574_10151035889094089_1674669288_n.jpg exploring the great outdoors with his now acre backyard full of birds, rabbits, and toads. I found out the other day his favorite activity is now chasing toads. -.- One day I'm going to be greeted with frog breath, I know it.

483324_10151029359879089_1928895212_n.jpg And finally this is before picture. This was the day I brought him home. Yes, he is a boy, and yes I put bows on him. My dad said it should be considered animal abuse but Apollo let's me put them on him so I think he likes them. I've had him for two weeks as of 8AM this morning, and I couldn't be happier. He's completely potty trained now, and has learned we really don't care if he sits on the furniture so he now has a spot on the couch.

We've gone to the dog park several times and he's loved it, except for when dogs bigger than him come in, suddenly he has to be the Alpha dog. Luckily the last dog he tried to intimidate (a huge American Bulldog) the owner laughed and said her mother who lives with her has a pomeranian who thinks she's master of the house. She said little dogs have complexes... luckily after a few sniffs Apollo "allowed" him to play in the dog park.

Thanks for sharing. He probably doesn't care one way or the other about the bows. One of my groomers used to put them in Gabby's ears (a male). She would rubber band them onto the middle of his ear. He didn't like them and pulled them out.

Clearly, he doesn't let the bows cramp his style! I would suggest to your dad that perhaps Apollo is French, since he likes frog legs. Could explain the bows ^_* Looks like he is settling in just fine. I am a sucker for a dog with eyebrows!!

Welcome fellow Apollo owner! :) I've got a black/white/tan tri parti colored ACS named Apollo :) My Apollo is quite the opposite. He is run run run run run play play play play play away from momma unless he feels that I'm lonely. Him and his sister Moon have the tan eyebrows ;) He definitely is a handsome boy! :)

41b53931.jpg
the picture is a few months old but you can clearly see the tan eyebrows :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, I was confused at first but now I see we have two Apollos, this could be fun :)
what a great story and a pretty boy, yes I called a boy pretty :)

Hi and welcome, I was confused at first but now I see we have two Apollos, this could be fun :)
what a great story and a pretty boy, yes I called a boy pretty :)

I didn't go changing my name ;) I was a little confused last night until I got to read the full story.

I just wanted to update: Apollo is now a healthy 23lbs, and his hair is coming in at a ridiculous rate! Our vet did notice he had some scar tissue on the inside of his legs which they think may have come from a bad rash he had from all his matted hair that was pulling on his skin when I first got him. Also there is now some debate as to he may be part Cavalier because of his obviously non-Cocker face. Reguardless, I love him to pieces and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I thank God every day that someone let him go so I could take him and fatten him up, take him to obedience classes, and wrestle on the floor with him.

Back