Asha's not herself

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
The last three days she's not been herself since I shaved her down last week I thought it was just because she was embarassed. She's never not had hair in the 2 years she's been alive. She has come up with hot spots too. She doesn't want to move anywhere and when she does she acts real funny about her hiney. No hot spots in that area. We have to force her to get up to go potty or eat or drink. She is still eating. I've noticed her trembling alot also but no temp it's been about 100.5. She wants to cuddle and generally acts like something is wrong. I did take her to work with me to keep an eye on her and she is deficating ok. She'll take a few steps then sit down like she doesn't want to go any further. She's my diva dog and just not having her usual gusto. Any advice anyone? TIA

I have no idea what's going on but it sounds like she's in pain. I would ask your vet to see her so she can be assessed and see if she has any palpable tenderness anywhere.

Oh No Robin!
I wonder if she is sensitive about loosing her hair. I would think she would be happy about it. If she doesn't improve, maybe a quick vet visit is in order.. not this on top of everything! Please let us know how our little angel is doing.

two things come to mind.

One is anal glands, the other is UTI.

If she has hot spots -- you know what that could mean. so again, possibly a parasite?

I don't think she's embarrassed.... you probably told her 100 times how cute she looks

she is not spayed so a heat coming on? Glands? Did she have a really active day and strain or sprain her back or hip?

Poor baby girl, hope she feels better soon.

Asha's bloodwork results

Took her in this afternoon and did a general profile. Her lymph nodes in her hind legs above her hocks and both front shoulderblades were slightly enlarged. She thinks the glands and hot spots are due to allergies possibly and the reason she'd sit down and not want to walk was it probably felt funny with the enlarged glands. Asha's tonsils are also still huge since they were checked the last time so we may look into having those removed. Did give a short acting steroid shot and 10 days worth of amoxicillin.
Dr called tonight with test results and everything is treatable. She has increased Amylase and Lipase so she has to be put on a low protein diet and she also has low iron and vitamin B. Just wanted you all to know she will be ok and thank you for reiterating my thinking I should take her in. I know I shouldn't second guess myself!!

Below is a pic I took of her feeling icky today at work.

Attachments

• Ashasick72009.jpg
    Ashasick72009.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Oh what a relief Robin. Are you going to feed Asha puppy stew? You can make it with less meat also.

Poor Asha, glad that everything is treatable. I did not know that dogs could get tonsilitis but I guess if they have tonsils they can get tonslitis.

Give that cutie a hug from us.

Poor little one. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. Hugs from Florida! :huggles:

Ok last night found out from one of her breeders that Asha's grandma had back issues and had the same symptoms as what she's doing hunching while walking acting like in pain and not wanting to move. So when the vet calls tomorrow to check on her I'm going to mention this to her. This morning she's doing a little more getting up but think the steroid is helping somewhat.

Oh Robin
Hopfully you can get her pain under control. Poor little one. I know you can relate to the back issues. Please keep us posted.

Back issues can present the way that Asha seems to be feeling . . . they can also cause tummy upset (secondary to pain and inflammation). If she doesn't seem to be improving, it might be worth checking out.

Poor little bit . . . she looks very sad and down. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Back