Asking to go out

Sorcha

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi all! I'm Daisy's mom and new here.
Daisy is almost 3 months old and doing pretty well with the potty training. We are crate training her and following Kelly's sticky with tips almost exacty. (Thanks Kelly!) We go out at all the key puppy times. After eating, sleeping, playing and being crated. We use the key words "go potty" during and have a puppy party after the fact.
But one thing I don't know is how to get Daisy to ask to go out. We catch her sniffing and circling at times and know she has to potty. So we quickly say "Lets go potty" and take her right outside... But she doesn't ask, we have to catch her. I'm not sure how to "train" the asking part.
Is it too early to get a Potty Bell? She's not even 3 months yet and her little brain is so busy learning all kinds of other stuff right now, I don't want to add too much.

Hi Sorcha!
I'm Polly! Welcome!! I'm not a SME on pups since I have not had any, and I'm sure others will have better info for you. I just wanted to say welcome!

I would think it isn't to early for the bell tho....^_^

Some people choose to teach their dogs to ask to go out by having them ring a bell (do a Google search for "Poochie Bells"). My dogs don't ask to go out . . . I just always take them out every couple of hours. To be honest with you, I haven't ever figured out how to teach my dogs to ask . . . I guess I'm too regimented for that ;)

Your dog is a SPONGE right now for learning . . . so teaching her the bells would be a cinch. Much easier than teaching a dog as an adult.

Welcome to MCS and congrats on your new puppy!

I'm right with Kelly on this one...my dogs go stand or sit by the door and look out, then look over their shoulder...like..."HEY do you SEE me standing here????"

I have had puppy buyers tell me that they have taught their dogs to ring a bell to go out...but I never pursued information on exactly how they did it. It has always bee my Golden Retriever buyers, seems like they are FAR more intelligent than the Cockers on this one...usually accomplishing house training and ringing to go out after they are in their home for 2-3 weeks...

Seems like the Cockers take forever to housetrain despite my giving them the same exact instructions...

Yep - mine have trained me! I just watch their signs...and I just got tile flooring put in so if we have a miscommunication problem, no big deal! :naughty:

All three of our girls let us know they need to go out by ringing their bells. They also use the doggy door in the laundry room..LOL, if we are not quick enough to the door when the bells ring Maggie takes herself out through the doggy door.

It was so easy to teach them. I put them on leashes everytime I took them out to go potty, when we got to the door I would ring the bells and say lets go, then opened the door and took them out. They were given the command "hurry up" (it was one we used for our late cockers and was easier to train them to that command than to teach Brian a new word, lol), when they did their business the happy dance was performed. And then they get to play...no peepee no play.

I taught my brother"s boston in about 6 hours to use them, this was a rescue dog that had to be potty trained when he got him at 4 years od

The bells are great...we have a set that we take with us when we travel. I think it makes it easier for them and no accidents in hotel rooms or when the girls are on our boat.

You can buy them or make a set yourself. I just bought sturdy, wide ribbon and bells from the fabric/craft store and then either sew it or use a grommet or set snaps.

LOL have to tell you that my husband would give the girls a treat for coming in when he was the one to open the door. So Miss Maggie, clever girl that she is, learned that if she rang the bells to go out, made a circle around the patio and came back in she got a treat. Hannah and Maggie also ring the bells for you to let the others in.

LOL have to tell you that my husband would give the girls a treat for coming in when he was the one to open the door. So Miss Maggie, clever girl that she is, learned that if she rang the bells to go out, made a circle around the patio and came back in she got a treat. Hannah and Maggie also ring the bells for you to let the others in.

Smart girls! :)

DJ
That is so cute! Those smart and beautiful girls!^_^

We don't use bells but Bailey has mastered that trick as well. He goes and sits beside the patio door when he wants/needs to go out. If we ignore him, he comes back in to the living room, circles the coffee table and goes back out again. But he thinks if he goes out on the deck, waits about 10 seconds, then scratches at the door to come back in, he gets a treat. He'll do that half a dozen times a night and then looks all offended when I tell him no potty no treat!!

Well, we put the bells up last night. We show them to her and tap the wall behind them. She jumps up on the wall because we're tapping and hits them. We praise and say our "lets go potty".
She looks confused but happy and excited. Well... She's a puppy so she always looks happy and excited. ;) But I think I see the wheels turning.
I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for the input!!

Well, we put the bells up last night. We show them to her and tap the wall behind them. She jumps up on the wall because we're tapping and hits them. We praise and say our "lets go potty".
She looks confused but happy and excited. Well... She's a puppy so she always looks happy and excited. ;) But I think I see the wheels turning.
I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for the input!!

Let us know how things turn out. :)

Back