rescue Baggage-Gina/and all-help please!

DotInFlorida

Owned by
2 cockers
It seems that Otto has some baggage that he needs to get rid of. Our thinking is that he has been hit by someone before. (may go so far as to say beat) :(
A couple of instances:

They get a carrot piece in the afternoon after they go out to potty. I have Ellie and Otto sit on a throw rug in the kitchen (for some reason he will not sit on the tile) and give them each their treat. I have always presented treats the same way -verbal command to sit and at the same time the hand signal with the treat in my hand. He cowers. I think in reaction to the hand signal.

Yesterday afternoon Joe gave him a stern "no jumping" (didn't yell but used a stern voice) when he jumped up on the fence and he did the slink and cower like he thought he was gonna get beat real bad.

I accidently bumped him with a folding tray and he went right into cowering.

We only use positive reinforcement training so I know he isn't afraid of us as he will cuddle with both of us and wags his tail a lot when we talk to him. We praise him to high heaven when he does anything we want him to do in hopes of building up his confidence.

Can ya'll tell me what I can do to help him?

I will gladly answer any questions you may have - I just want to help our poor baby boy!

Poor Otto. He will learn a lot just from watching Ellie. I'm sure not a trainer and I'm going thru a lot of this with Merlin. Do you know Otto's history at all?

Maxwell was abused and he took us a heck of a lot of time and PATIENCE. Just reinforcing what's good (love and trust) and minimizing what's bad (the hitting and loud voices) will win out. I think I'd stop using hand signals if he knows the verbal command for sit. Carol told me up front that Merlin will need a lot of lap time so he gets it. He's learning to trust me more and more each day. Bad news - it's been 7 months and I still have problems grooming him. But it took me two years with Max. Good news - he is comfortable enough to sleep on my chest on Sunday afternoon nap times. Can't quite imagine a Vizla on my lap but it sounds like he needs some total love immersion for a long time. He'll come around...it's just gonna take time.

Not much history and conflicting information at that. We were told he was found as a stray then we were told he was "owned" other than that - don't know. May have been an owner turn in - some people can't handle large, intelligent dogs. Fortunately we have experience in that department. What we don't have experience in is his "baggage".

You'll get it. Let Otto tell you what he needs. He's in good hands for sure. It'll be ok.

Time, patience, and getting his confidence up by doing some obedience training like you've already started. Just continue adding to his repitoire. You said he's a smart dog so let him show that. If you know what seems to trigger him into cowering, try your best to avoid those. At least you know enough to realize what is happening.

For hand shy dogs i will actually hand feed. I use a lot of hand touching but I don't pat on head. I keep my hands lower and pat chest instead. I also feed from my lips or face. It just takes time and someimes sitting on their level ( floor ) to feed. That way you are not towering over them.

Put peanut butter on hands too let him lick it off and praise.

He'll mostly learn from monkey see monkey do and realize it's going to be ok.

I think he will eventually learn to trust you. He hasn't been with you that long. One study I glanced over said dogs are more comfortable with women because of the body language they use compared to men. Maybe slight changes in your approach would help Otto especially with your husband. This page touches on a person's body language when dealing with dogs.

Dot,
Time, love and more time.. it sounds like you are doing everything right. We never know what baggage some of these rescues have. But, he will learn to love and trust and be the best dog ever.

My Pepper is a troubled soul. You can read is history in my cocker blog. He's come a long way but, will never be a "normal" cocker like my Pogo or Stormy.

You will see him blossum like a flower. It just takes love and time and a lot of work.

From Gina

Sorry was Christmas shopping and didn't check in at My Cocker Spaniel!

Look all rescue dogs have baggage if they were beat or not....just moving to a new home is stressful. If you think he has issues with men, have your husband work with him exclusively. Viz are very sensitive but can be stubborn. So the hurt feelings he displays are part of the character of the breed.

My dogs would cower at the TV....because they don't have a TV in the kennel or the dog room....or the yard...so exposure to 'new' things will result in a slinking dog. Be patient. Show him the TV tray isn't going to eat him...neither will the Vacuum or other things he displays a startle reflex to. A dog is truly not comfortable in his new home until 6 weeks have gone by.

Don't despair...its a dog thing not a Viz thing. Good luck!

Gina Vesco
Owner/Operator

Thanks everyone!

I have dropped the hand signals and that made a difference along with my getting down to his level and treating him. (FM, Joe thought I was nuts :unsure:treating him with my face - he said I wouldn't do that.)

Thanks for article manuel! I think that study is right about dogs and women. I haven't met a dog yet that didn't come right to me or let me handle it.

Polly, please thank Gina for her response and thank you for passing it on. I just wanted to make sure we are doing things right with him, I know they are a sensitive breed.

Check this out....
Last night I decided to get a head start on grooming today so I did Ellie's nails. Joe came in to sit with us and Otto followed - and sat in Joe's lap! I loved it!!! Then Otto let us trim his nails - with the Pedi-Paws - didn't fuss, shy or anything. That surprised the heck out of me.

I know he will come around. It took Ellie a while to settle down but she didn't seem to have the "issues" he has. I guess it just kinda freaked me out with the cowering thing - never encountered that before. Truthfully - it made me feel awful!

I know he will come around. It took Ellie a while to settle down but she didn't seem to have the "issues" he has. I guess it just kinda freaked me out with the cowering thing - never encountered that before. Truthfully - it made me feel awful!

Pupdate Dottie?

I was thinking about you this morning as I had my first encounter with cowering from Merlin. He's a skittish little boy but he's never cowered to the point of peeing hisself like he did this morning! Come on - he's been here since May! For whatever reason he would not come out of the bedroom this morning after shower, etc. Nothing different going on at all but the little guy was shaking like a leaf and actually peed on the carpet. I had to pick him up and carry him through the "den" and he was holding on for dear life. Odd.

That is odd. Nothing different? No thunder (it rained up here this morning)? Poor little fella - something was up for him to shake like that and pee himself too.

Otto is doing a lot better. That being said he did have a cowering incident yesterday. We had both pups in their respective crates as family was over and we were getting ready to have lunch. I approached his crate to give him a treat and he cowered. What was up with that? He did that a couple of times. I finally got him to not cower when I approached. (lots of good boys and baby talk)

Other than that he has been wonderful. Just got back from a walk at the river park and they were both great - even had a few distractions. (squirrel, bichon, bully mix and a couple walking)

I hope both Otto and Merlin are feeling better. That does seem odd about Merlin. :huh:

I'm glad Otto's doing better for ya. Maybe the company set him off? Merlin's incident was just off the wall. He's gone thru that basically empty room at least a thousand times with no problem at all. All we've had today is drizzles - no thunder or anything which would normally set Monte on his tush and hiding. Quiet day actually.

Great advice to use your hands for feeding and no head patting.

Since I've been in Rescue, I'm in the habit, even with my own dogs, to skritch under the muzzle.
Our first cocker, years ago, was hit and it took her a year to get over that.

We never acknowledge or cuddle when we see a behaviour like that, we just ignore it.
Don't give a positive reinforcement when they cower or something. Best to ignore it.
They learn fast how to get hugs...LOL

Having other dogs really helps as they see how they react tho you and Otto will soon follow suit.

Some of our adopters have told me that they see changes even after a year.

Quick update. Otto has made great strides and has become Joe's dog. :) I love it, although I am used to getting all the attention. ha ha What really surprised me was this afternoon, I was sitting on the couch reading and he came over and put his front legs and head in my lap. I just about cried!

Quick update. Otto has made great strides and has become Joe's dog. :) I love it, although I am used to getting all the attention. ha ha What really surprised me was this afternoon, I was sitting on the couch reading and he came over and put his front legs and head in my lap. I just about cried!

Awww Dot! Wonderful news!

Awesome news! I love it when they decide they might wanna stay after all.

Back