Bennett Crew's new Doos!

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Here are the pix as promised! I took Pogo and Stormy down further this morning since Pepper seemed so much happier with his shorter doo..

I took these pix on our front portch!
PogMikeTuneGood.jpg

DadStorm.jpg

PogsStormGateGood.jpg

Doggy-Door.jpg

Last edited:
I see lots of smiles. :) I bet they feel more comfortable now. It looks like you cut your guys pretty much the same way I cut mine in the summertime... I dont leave as much on the legs though, but they are patterned the same. All of mine are coming due for their haircuts too. Lucky them.. lol

The kids all look great, I agree with Mike there are sure a lot of smiles..including Michaels, did he get a trim too? LOL...

Must be a pretty popular cut cause mine are near the same! Someone told me once that it was an L.A. Sport cut. No clue here! I trim to suit myself and the pooch! Yours look GREAT!

They look really good, Polly. This is the type of cut I wanted, but my groomer insisted it had to be basically a shavedown. I don't love it, but it is pretty comfy for Frankie. I just wanted a little fluff around his bottom and a little bit on his legs, along with maybe a hint of a skirt. Got none of that. In another few weeks it will start to grow out a bit.

Mike, yes we sure do cut them almost the same, and I know Pam cuts her's almost the same also. In fact, when Stormy came to me from Robin his cut was the same, only better done LOL..

Sharon yes, now that you mention it, they are the same. I really loved the longer leg feathers, the rest of their bodies were the same. I took them down with a shorter blade on the backs this time because a made a mistake right by Stormy's tail, lol so I took them all down so they would look the same. I use my 10 on Pep's back because of his skin, but at least I won't have to shave them for over a month!

Judy, maybe it's time for you to try on Frankie. The reason why I started to groom myself was because when I took my first cocker to the groomer, I didn't like the results. There are some excellent videos out there, or just trying, we will all help you as much as we can. Linny has been such a help to me over the years...^_^

Oh and thanks for the nice compliments on Michael LOL.. and his sister took half his hair off the last time he visited her.. :p

Polly,looking over the pictures again, I love the one of the south ends of Pogo and Stormy as they are looking north. They have the cutest little hineys!!

Dont think I could ever manage grooming. First, I can't even cut my bangs properly, and second Frankie does not sit still when I approach him with any utensil, except maybe the brush. I know I'd screw it up royally!!! I have trimmed around his face occasionally (scissors) but that is a far as I dare. Paul holds him so he doesn't squirm, and every time he does it he reminds me of the time we were packing up a box and I stabbed him in the hand with scissors. Honestly, it was an accident!! It was 12 years ago but he still loves to tease me about it. The man has absolutely no memory problems!!

Not that any of your groomers would know but it is also known by the name as a teddy bear clip and a sport cut. I never even knew myself this cut existed until I got into cockers and met show breeders so it's likely the general groomer is unaware what it actually looks like. The best way to explain it I've found to other groomers is clipping the body like the body on a poodle with a town and country clip. :)

Robin!
Great idea! It's hard I know. Remember what trouble Anita had getting the groomer to understand how she wanted Hannah to look? She finally took a picture in for her groomer to see.

Judy, maybe you could do that, take in a picture of how you would like Frankie to look.

I know that Robin sometimes uses a clipper comb, but I used my sissors.
I will order a #30 blade next time I do order, Robin said that's why my combs won't stay on my clippers, I need a #30 blade.:)

Yeay, depending on the starting length of the furnishings, and if they're long, I'll use a comb over a #30 to take the bulk off and finish with scissors. Combs are meant to be used with either a #30 to get the correct length marked on the comb.

Your dogs are just beautiful!!! They look soooo happy! Annie has the same cut....just shed too much in summer.

Thank you Manuel and Karrie! And, Robin, I'm going to order the #30. Robin warned me that I would get into trouble if I let them get too long... and I sure did. Stormy has very very thick beautiful coat. He scatched his elbow one day and BOOM! A mat down to the skin.. I won't put mine thru pain just for the coat, and Stormy had his day in the ring and he's retired now so why should he have to suffer thru my pulling to get out matts.. I missed taking them to the beach, I couldn't see myself blowing out coat more often than I was.. so they will be happier now and so will I.

I have trimmed around his face occasionally (scissors) but that is a far as I dare. Paul holds him so he doesn't squirm, and every time he does it he reminds me of the time we were packing up a box and I stabbed him in the hand with scissors. Honestly, it was an accident!! It was 12 years ago but he still loves to tease me about it. The man has absolutely no memory problems!!

Inbetween full groomings when I want to "fix" their faces I use sissors with a blunt end near their eyes. Maybe Paul will feel more comfortable holding his face.

They do have long memories though years ago I got Brian with the pruning snippers while he was showing where to clip a branch...yeese it was barely bleeding...now he does the pruning if I ask him to help...at least it wasn't the big loppers.

I have to admit I have no idea what size my blade is and I do use the comb attachments that came with the clippers to take the legs down to 3/4" and then I scissor my heart out. Mozie's front legs are longer than the back just because I like him like that...distracts from seeing that his front legs are shorter than his back legs! ;) I get the shaved back that FM does not like but I've found if I set the clipper on edge and use a very light hand as I'm clipping I get a little longer clip that Monte needs since his skin is soooo fair he sunburns if cut too short. AFTER I bought my clippers I found out they only have two size blades that fit. The one I have and one that cuts even shorter. I will shop around a little more next time!

Oh yeah - nick the quick on those toenails just once and you get to spend at least 6 months regaining their trust! Took me two years with Maxwell and trust me when I say I used every trick in the book!!

Yep, teddy bear, or Farley bear.

I use this same cut for bichons, sometimes poos, llasa's, cockapoos, etc.

It's just an easy cute cut

And Linny it was you that talked me thru it the very first time.. ^_^

The Bennett crew look wonderful Polly! And having experienced your summer weather, I can say with certainty that they appreciate the summer trims!

Back