Blue is acting funny

Well i'm going to leave the talking to him about it to my mom, because she usually has her way and she loves this dog anyways... and the garage is heated, but he sleeps indoors with me anyways. He just has to stay outside during the day when I'm away, because they don't trust that he won't pee/poop on the floor :p But Hayes has changed his story once again ( just minor details, but enough) so I am thinking what he saw wasn't really that big of a deal.

IM NOT SAYING ITS OK! I was just saying he might have yelled at him and kicked at him for chewing something or maybe nudged him with his foot to stop, and hayes might be blowing it out of proportion. But also, then I wonder what else would cause him to act this way. I have also notice he just acts lazy too.

Also: Sorry I keep forgetting little details. I took Blue out in the field today to let him run around and look for birds. I took his new toy (could it be his favorite toy got ruined that we used to fetch so I got him a new one?) and he was fetching it in the field just fine. Could fetch really just be too boring for him now, because he used to be pro!

Last edited:
Lots of people here have more rescue experience than I do, but Blue's behavior is very consistent with that of an abused dog. And your little brother might be trying not to rat out your stepdad- that's a lot of pressure for a 5 yr old. Can you keep Blue in your room, with the door closed, when you go to school tomorrow?

Ok so this is what has happened so far. My mom asked him about it and he said he didn't really "kick him" but he did "push" him off his brand new boot and he also said he did yell at him pretty loudly and Blue did run off scared. This sounds more accurate. Also, I have been playing with him and he will fetch, but only if he isn't being distracted. He used to do this when he first learned, but he then got better at ignoring things. I wonder if my being busy lately has caused him to regress somewhat. I have also noticed that when he doesn't bring it back, he will sniff around near it and around it. Maybe its not all a bad thing, and he is being curious. the only thing that worries me now is the peeing thing when i got home. He hasn't ever done that before, but we have had dogs in the past that had... Can they just start? I will still be watching him closely to make sure that my step dad is good to him. I'm starting to think that I did just over-react... either way, I'll keep an eye on him. Thanks for the support. No I can't really keep him in my room (I dont trust him in there all day either) but I can leave him in the garage all day if needed. I think he will be ok. My brother goes out and plays with him for most the day anyways so he is usually watched well.

Do you have a crate for him? Pehaps he can stay in your room where he can be crated and not cause any concern for your family. One thing that I did with both of my cockers was to take a couple of old clean rags, we soaked them in water, or sometimes broth like chicken or beef, and froze a couple of them. It gave the dogs something to chew on that helped numb the gums. There are toys that do the same thing but why go through the expense. I'm glad to see your keeping a cool head about this, please watch blue carefully, he will provide you with lots of love.

Do you have a crate for him? Pehaps he can stay in your room where he can be crated and not cause any concern for your family. One thing that I did with both of my cockers was to take a couple of old clean rags, we soaked them in water, or sometimes broth like chicken or beef, and froze a couple of them. It gave the dogs something to chew on that helped numb the gums. There are toys that do the same thing but why go through the expense. I'm glad to see your keeping a cool head about this, please watch blue carefully, he will provide you with lots of love.
No I dont have a crate. I could get one, but I just don't want him to have to sit in his own pee for hours while I'm away (my school is 45 mins from my house). The rag thing is a great idea though, and would probably help soothe his mouth a lot. I hope I was just over-reacting to something small because I wan't blue to have the happiest life possible, but it would kill me to have to give him up if he was really being abused. I would do it for him though.

I'm sure your mom would buy a crate if you told her you were afraid your step father was abusing Blue. Blue shouldn't pee his crate while your at school if you let him out when you get home.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I am not sure how to feel about your story. I'm scare for Blue. I hope nothing bad happens to him. What about your brother can he be hurting him? I see young kids playing rough with puppies and dogs. Try the best you can do to make sure nothing happens to him. You don't want to regret it later. I know you are young but maybe right now is not the time for you to have a puppy.

Manuel is right-- the whole idea of crate training is to give Blue is own space, that he won't *want* to pee in. It's very cool; if you can't get a hold of a dog crate, a rabbit hutch can be a viable option. (I'm all about the low-cost options).

I do think my dad has a crate from when they trained their mini poodle, and it was actually just about the perfect size for blue. I will borrow it and try it. Blue will be fine. I have my eye on him.

Be sure and have him potty outside right b4 he goes in the crate and right after you get home as he'll probably need to go.
Also give him a few toys, rawhide, or antler to keep him busy and make it a happy place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't foget to add a towel or old blanket at the bottom of the cage to give some comfort to Blue when he is lying down. He should have just enough room to stand and turn around. Dogs rarely pee/poop where they sleep. Walk him just before you put him in the crate and again when you get home. Be sure to leave the crate open when you are home and he is in the house, this will give him a den and comfort space of his own. Keep us posted!

Back