Bradycardia - slow heart rate

Kim Reed

I adopted Bella from a family a few weeks ago. They said she was in good health, never sick. I just had her checked out by a vet and the vet noticed a slow heart rate and said she has Bradycardia. I am terrified. Has anyone been through this? How long did your pet live with it? We have an appointment with a cardiologist in a few weeks.

Kim
Welcome to the forum. Your posts will be moderated for a couple of days. I have never had a dog with a slow heart rate. I'm sure some of our other members will have more information for you.

I'm not familiar with bradycardia in Cockers - sometimes a slow heart rate isn't really a bad thing. Your vet would know more about that than me.

Hugs to your sweet Bella.

Bracacardia is maybe what you mean. Dude had that. Never caused a problem, but we kept him on taurine, L-carnatine and Q10. It's an irregular heartbeat I believe.

Bradycardia is normal in some people. What's more important is the cause, say an irregular heartbeat. Like Kelly said, I would not worry about this unless your cocker is having symptoms of some type like lethargy or loss of consciousness.

Bradycardia

Your terminology is correct and is defined as a slow heart beat, not an irregular heart beat. The normal heart rate for a medium size dog is 80-120 beats per minute. Bradycardia is anything less than 80 beats in a minute in dogs. Heart rate is dynamic and changes with sleep, exercise, and even simple breathing. So, first find out how slow your dogs heart rate is and this will give you an idea of how drastic the bradycardia actually is. Second, keep your eye on her and look for the symptoms: lethargy (tired) or difficulty breathing. It is only when the slow heart rate is actually decreasing the dogs quality of life or health that it should become a concern. Keep in mind, many athletes (generally professionals) have low heart rates. She could live with a low heart rate for many years to come.

Your terminology is correct and is defined as a slow heart beat, not an irregular heart beat. The normal heart rate for a medium size dog is 80-120 beats per minute. Bradycardia is anything less than 80 beats in a minute in dogs. Heart rate is dynamic and changes with sleep, exercise, and even simple breathing. So, first find out how slow your dogs heart rate is and this will give you an idea of how drastic the bradycardia actually is. Second, keep your eye on her and look for the symptoms: lethargy (tired) or difficulty breathing. It is only when the slow heart rate is actually decreasing the dogs quality of life or health that it should become a concern. Keep in mind, many athletes (generally professionals) have low heart rates. She could live with a low heart rate for many years to come.

Thanks. I've had her heart rate checked twice since then and both times she was normal. Now we're just battling an ear infection.

Ear infections are a constant hazard! But I too am puzzled with bradycardia, which is why I joined this group. I've had 9 cockers, and been through some gruesome diseases and cancers. Bradycardia? My once bouncing boy now even refuses to get in the truck to go walking or swimming. He just snoozes under a bush during the day and sleeps on my bed at night. He's 7 years old . . . middle aged. Only other problem is the off and on ear infections, not even cataracts or skin problems! My vet of 26 years died suddenly this summer and I just don't know who to discuss this with. Any suggestions? I'm all ears . . . uh, eyes!

Do a google search for the Blue Power ear recipe, it works amazing on ears. =) Hugs, Jen

Our Buffie had a slow heart rate. She lived to be 13 and died of kidney failure and possibly an aneurysm.

Back