Breeder recommendations in N. California?

Pam J.

Owned by cockers
Owned by
1 cocker
(((Roy)))
I'm sure Robin, Gina and Kelly would recommend some in your area.

:)

Anybody know of a good breeder in Northern California? I have started trying to contact breeders for the future and then my friend lost both of her cockers last month. She is almost desperate in her need for another dog. She would really like a puppy this time, her husband is retired and she does have grandchildren. Also, something she has encountered from some Rescue people (and I have done Rescue) is rudeness. People have acted like she is bothering them asking questions, or like she is trying to steal their dog. I'm appalled at the attitude she has encountered and one Group wants to come to her house every month. Who has time for that? There has to be something between "I hate people" and "rescue needs people".

Pam I moved your post. It was sort of hidden in that other thread. You'll get a better response this way.

They want to come to her house every month??? Pam, we had a terrible time here with rescues when Lauren wanted to adopt a cocker. Even though she had lined up an apartment that allowed pets in IN and would be here about 8 months before she left, no one would even look at her. Most rescue places wouldn't even respond. One took two weeks to answer an email. Lauren finally found Eloise at an animal shelter. The shelter friend who was doing the adoptions told Lauren, "I knew we found the right place for her as soon as we saw how nice your other cockers are."

Please extend our condolences to yoru friend on her loss.....

As to puppies, we babysat a puppy over July 4th weekend..... One of those "rare hybrids"..... It was a cute little mixed breed that the owners paid a huge fortune for..... Six months old with a really bad overbite, bad hips (one leg was way shorter then teh other), and dumb as a box of rocks......I won't go off on my "hybrid rant" because I wanted to say that puppies are deadly!..... They cry and cry and cry and don't listen and chew things and then cry and don't listen and then leave little gifts on the carpet, usually right after they have gone outside for a walk..... The only reason that there are any dogs in this world at all is because puppies are so cute..... Otherwise, dead as Julius Caesar!..... Give me a young rescue dog anytime!

There are no excuses for rudeness in rescue, but some rescue folks are just beat up..... So, if your friend doesn't feel comfortable dealing with one rescue, tell her to try another..... Tranport is almost always available, unless the weather is really, really harsh..... I work with Linny's rescue (Cockers in Need) and we have adopted dogs in a lot of different states, even as far as Oregon and California.

I do have to say that my cocker pup has been one of the best puppys. Out of the pack of four Jesabell has been really easy. Quick to learn to go potty, tried to chew a couple times but after telling her no and giving her her toys shes over that (doesn't count the baby toys. Ive given up on both there), Very willing to please. Shes just been a pretty smart little girl. I don't know if thats just her or cockers though.
Good luck.

Back