Can't / Won't Lay Still

rspeaker

Owned by
2 cockers
Hi Everyone,

Bailey is almost 18 months old. Lately I've noticed that, more and more, he seems to be either unable or unwilling to lay still for any length of time. As a puppy, he would find himself a comfy spot then sprawl out on his side for a nice nap. For some reason now, he only seems to be able lay straight out on his belly with his chin across his paws. He doesn't do the nose-to-tail curl, and when he does happen to stretch out on his side, within a minute or two he's over on his belly again.

He's eating, playing, and going to the bathroom fine. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, at least he's not crying/whining. Just for some reason seems unable to lay comfortably in any position but straight ahead on his tummy.

I'm planning to bring this up to the vet when we meet to discuss neutering and microchipping but was just curious if anyone else has this with their dogs? Hopefully I'm over reacting.

Thanks!

Welcome Roy! The fact Bailey is eating, urinating, and having bm's normally is reassuring. :thumbsup: You didn't mention any sensitive area on him either (i.e. belly or back) so that's reassuring too. You didn't mention his belly looked bloated either--more good news. I believe you're on to something because you're noticing a change in his behavior and you know Bailey better than anyone else. Contact your vet with these concerns. They might want to see Bailey before your next scheduled appointment.

Hi Roy! Welcome! You seem familiar. Did you used to post on the AOL board? Or our MSN board?

It could be as simple as Bailey is growning up and doesn't need as much sleep and has chosen a favorite way to lay. But it's guessing. You are on the right track to ask the vet when you see behaviors that seem odd to you.

well, pups sleep alot, and are like little bean bags, they are flexible and can lay in any position.

Mine all like to do the "splat" or frog -- they late flat out, back legs sticking out behind them like a frog.

Might want to have his hips looked at, but I'm hoping it's nuttin.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it's nothing too.

Polly, yes I was on the AOL boards. Jumped over here back in January but been quite busy and haven't been able to visit much.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it's nothing too.

Polly, yes I was on the AOL boards. Jumped over here back in January but been quite busy and haven't been able to visit much.

Roy!! Welcome Home then!! Have you skimmed our Introduction thread? Add yours for all of our new friends ^_^

Coco does the same thing. Exp at night, on my bed, in front of the fan, taking all the cool air off me...Menopause sucks may I say...

Hope everything is okay with Bailey!! If it helps, Charley used to lay like this for the first 2 years of his life. He would even scoot around the room on his belly like this sometimes!! :) He still lays spread eagle occasionally but is more often rolled up in a snuggly ball now!!

char.jpg

Marti
Darling pix of Charlie! Most of us call that frogging! Mine like to lay that way also..

Back