Cicada Concern

Melissa

Owned by
1 cocker
OK, I joined this forum just to ask this question..We live in Tennessee and are expecting the 13 year cicadas this year. These nasty things will swarm the yard for about 6 weeks. I am worried they will get tangled in Jack's long hair and someone (me) will have to pick them out of his hair! Does anyone have a suggestion other than cutting off all the hair? I just might cry if I have to cut it off.

I don't see a problem. Cicadas are huge. If your cocker has cicadas tangled in his fur you'll have some good pictures to sell to your local TV station. :blink: Seriously though, cicadas don't like coming into contact with animals or people. They are preyed upon by birds and do their best to stay out of harm's way. I've put cicadas on Gabby before and they just climb off and fly away.

Last edited:
I've never delt with them because we don't have them here in Calif.. Perhaps if you are afraid that they will get in your dogs coat, you could get a jogging suit for him.. Kelly has one for her JackJack, who is in coat also... maybe Robin will have some info for you also, she has several dogs in coat, but, I'm unsure if she has cicada's in OK..

I was going to suggest a spandex or nylon suit . . . I think NeoPaws might make suits for dogs?

I hate Katy-did-it's. Ours are mostly in the trees, they've never bothered the dogs, although mine would probably torture them and try to eat it.

I think so - bigger grasshoppers. I can't imagine they'd get caught in the coat, but if so they should be easy enough to pick out.

I was in IN when they had the 13 year cicada cycle. We had no issue at all with cicadas in the dog's coat.

I know nothing about Cicada but I do have to say that if that is Jack in your avator he is very cute. Tell us about him.

OK, thanks everyone for easing my concerns. I guess I might be overreacting just a little. The thought of those big-eyed icky bugs on my baby just freaks me out. Eeewww.

I'll post an intro about Jack on the Introduction page. Thanks again!

They are like locus, very loud and annoying things. I have seen them but never bother us or the animals. You should not have any problems with them.

OK, thanks everyone for easing my concerns. I guess I might be overreacting just a little. The thought of those big-eyed icky bugs on my baby just freaks me out. Eeewww.

I'll post an intro about Jack on the Introduction page. Thanks again!

Bump. This post was just approved.

Back