Cocker hates to be groomed

Something that I have done in the past is to use an earcleaner. But do not put it down the ear canal. I wet a cotton ball with it and wiped the inside ear leather with it. Then followed it up with a comb thru and repeated it. Dry the area and see if that doesn't help also.

I know. That's what I use on all my horses, plus any that I have to work with. I've studied natural horsemanship since I got into horses. I have a rescue Arab, and I've had people that are shocked when they realize she's an Arab because of how calm she is. Plus, I trail ride her in either a bitless or a rubber snaffle. People are expecting her to take off w/me, but she never does. When I got her, she was 5 yo, and unhandled. I've done all her training and get more satisfaction out of riding her than any horse I've ever ridden.

The other horse I was dealing w/was on a horse farm where I was working. I don't know how many cross ties he broke when the owner tried to do anything w/him, but he never did w/me. I watched her one day and I knew the horse was getting ready to explode, but she didn't see it. And, sure enough, he broke the cross ties.

Dizzy...I am so proud of you for using Natural training with your horses,so many people think force is the only way to train. Forty plus years of owning horses and it is by far the best most kindness method of training horses I have ever used and trust me I have used them all. You keep up the good work and do be careful even the best trained most mellow horse can throw a curve ball at you sometimes. I envy you getting to ride as there is "nothing" that compares to riding at a full gallop through the fields and hearing the thunder of hoof beats under you. I no longer ride or have large horses as the hard heavy work load got to be too much for my husband and my self as we have gotten older. Hauling in hundreds of bales of hay each year took its toll on us.I do have four little miniature horses that I love dearly that give me my horse "fix". I highly recommend them as they are as sweet as they are cute. Feed,hay and work for four minis equal about what it takes for one large horse. We do therapy work with our little guys,they love kids,so touching to watch them when they see a miniature horse for the first time. A mini foal weighs 18 to 25 pounds and you can pick them up and carry them...cutest little things I have ever seen!!
I understand now why you want a Cocker with a field coat so he can go to the barn with you and help with the chores. My Cockers have always been house babies and I could never let them run the barn yard unless I wanted to give baths daily. I do have a little Corgi that has a kennel beside of my barn,he helps me each day and it is his job to watch over my guys...he is a herding dog and very unhappy in the house,he thrives outside so he can do his job. All four of my minis trust in him so much if he barks they all go on full alert. I know you love Cockers as I do but for a little barn dog that loves horses a herding dog can't be beat. They also love to go out on long rides with you...they just fit with horses and barn life. You may want to try one someday,it is such great fun to have a dog that goes out trail riding with you.:) Here are my little guys.
View attachment 7525View attachment 7526View attachment 7527

Last edited:
Hi all, on the subject of grooming could someone advise how to get oil out of the hair on and around Lexi's ears after having ear drops for a week, I'm terrified of washing them and getting water in her ears. I have read that rubbing baking soda into the hair then brushing used like a dry shampoo might help....what do you all think ?

Hi Sue...Sorry to hear Baby Lexi has had ear issues,hope she is doing much better.

Kathy, I hear ya on the hay! And, I don't like to mess w/100s of bales either. So, I did the smart thing. I got round bales. I found a guy that would deliver them for $34.00 each. And, seeing as I'm seeing them advertised for $50.00 now, I did great! Squares are going for $5.00 and since I'd probably need at least 1 a day, I'm so glad I got the rounds. As long as I put gas in the tractor, I can use the tractor at the farm. So, I store them upright, cover them w/a tarp, and peel the hay off. Each bale last me about 16 days and it's so much easier on me. I do get a certain number of the squares for just in case.

And, they do have minis at the farm, as well as miniature donkeys. I've picked up both when they were new born.

OK, now that we've hijacked this thread, once I do get my Cocker, there is some type of judge trail ride, can't recall now what it's called, but you need both a dog and a horse to do it. There is at least 1 person on my local horse forum that does it. I'm thinking of getting more info from them on it.

Last edited:
Yes I know and so sorry...I love talking Cockers and Horses and when they are both in the same conversation, I am in Heaven...lol

Ok...now back to the thread "Cockers that hate grooming." :)

Maybe we need to start a new thread on Cockers and horses! :lol:

I have thought of a Corgi, but I can only get 1 dog. And, I have thought of doing some bird hunting. I don't think a Corgi would be much good for that.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :lol:

Update on Bella; its be about 8 months since I adopted her. She has grown to trust me and lets me give her hair cuts, clean her ears etc. She knows that I am trying to make her feel better. She lets me put the ear cleaner I make from http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html in no problem. Vet says her ears look really really good for a dog prone to ear issues.... makes me so proud! It just took time and some really bad haircuts. I've given her about 6 haircuts so far. I cant wait to give her a pet cocker cut... I need to order some more blades!

Laura...you can get your blades sharpened for about 5 or 6 dollars each. I have to trim four mini horses plus Cockers and have 12 or 14 blades. It is much cheaper for me than buying new ones each year :)

Back