rescue Cocker Spaniel Eyes

Aliciastav

I have two six month old cocker spaniels that i rescued from a backyard breeder. A boy, Simba, and a girl, Nala. My little girl has something going on with her eyes. I am not sure if maybe it is the beginning of cherry eye or possibly something else. I have attached some photos, its hard to describe exactly what it is though. When I first got the both of them they were severely malnourished and horribly infested with fleas and had to be rushed to the vet. Nala had the majority of the fleas all around her face and imbedded into her cheeks. Her eyes looked someone the same now as they did back then. The vet did not seem concerned with them.

I just want to know if anyone knows what it might be, if they have gone through the same thing, what i can do to help her, if anything.

She doesnt seem bothered by it, but sometimes i feel like she can't see very well. It also seems to be getting slightly worse then what it used to be.

IMG_7873.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Thank you for all your help.

Welcome Alicia Simba and Nala. I'm Polly, I live in So CA with hubby and our 3 cockers. Your Nala is a lovely little girl. Thank you for rescuing her and her brother and getting them out of what sounds like horrible conditions. Perhaps her eyes were
aggravated by all the fleas. I would continue to take her to your vets for check ups. They don't look like cherry eye to me, more of an inner eye lid aggravation, but, your vet will be the person to know. She looks wonderful considering how you found her.

You will be moderated for a short while. Please be patient. We will get to your posts as fast as we can.

Welcome Alicia, Simba and Nala!

Those don't look like cherry eyes to me. That's the membrane coming up to protect the eye, almost as if there's irritation there, like hair, a scratch or something else. I would definitely head to the vet - I never wait on eye issues.

I'm glad that Simba and Nala are in your home and now know love and comfort.

I have to agree with Polly and Kelly, there's some kind of irritation there. I'd definitely go to the vet to have it checked.

Thank you all for such a quick response. It looks like I am going to be taking her in. The vet I took her to previous said that it was nothing to be concerned about and that we would probably have to do a cherry eye surgery when she gets spayed. But I guess that is not the case. I actually have off work tomorrow so I am going to take her in and see if they an look at her again now that she is a little older. I think when I got them they were around 8 weeks. She didn't even wanna pick her head up for more than a couple seconds. I asked the vet about them then. And then every time when we went in for her vaccines.

Maybe I will try a different vet for a second opinion.

she's a cutie pie. I'd go back to the vet or actually I'd go to a different vet for a 2nd opinion. There is something going on there I think. If I remember correctly, my doberman had an eye that looked like this and it turned out to be a neuro issue called Horners.
Wasnt a big deal to treat and it only happened that one time but eyes can be tricky I think and they sure are important.

Welcome, and thanks for rescuing. That does not look at all like cherry eye (I have a cocker with cherry eye, so I know what it looks like). I am guessing it is an infection or irritation of the eye.

Thank you all for such a quick response. It looks like I am going to be taking her in. The vet I took her to previous said that it was nothing to be concerned about and that we would probably have to do a cherry eye surgery when she gets spayed. But I guess that is not the case. I actually have off work tomorrow so I am going to take her in and see if they an look at her again now that she is a little older. I think when I got them they were around 8 weeks. She didn't even wanna pick her head up for more than a couple seconds. I asked the vet about them then. And then every time when we went in for her vaccines.

Maybe I will try a different vet for a second opinion.

BUMPing. was moderated.

Hello Alicia, Simba and Nala :wave:
My name is Kathy and we live in Tn. with our one cocker Levi. Bless you for savings these babies and I love their names...that was my sons favorite movie as a child and I have watched "Lion King" at least a couple of hundred times...lol
I agree with everyone else,that is not cherry eye as I have been through that several times with Cockers. I would take her to the vet as a simple ointment may be all that is needed to treat her right now...I never wait with eyes as a simple thing can turn serious quickly. You have done a wonderful job with your guys as Nala looks so beautiful,healthy and happy!!

Welcome Alicia! My name is Heather and I live in Indiana with my husband, 2 Bostons and our newly adopted Cocker, Audra. Oh and of course my breeder/show Persians. Congrats on the adoption of your two babies!!!!

Ok...I have not seen this in dogs personally but I know it can happen. I have however seen it in the Persians and this looks a lot like it might be Entropion -- this is where the eye lashes are inverted on the eye lid and irritate the eye. It is commonly seen with the bottom lid but not always. It can become very serious if not corrected quickly and does require surgery from a veternary optometrist. However, what is odd to me is that Entropion is not typically seen in BOTH eyes and Nala appears as tho both eyes are bothering her. I would see a different vet for sure!

Last edited:
Back