Coconut Oil

Mscru28

Hi All - I was just wondering what your thoughts were on giving dogs Coconut oil (either orally or tropically). I have read so many different articles that have good benefits and not so good benefits. I spoke with my Vet and he was against using it. So, I was wondering if anyone has used Coconut Oil with their Cocker Spaniel. If so, how did you use it and was it beneficial or not so beneficial. Thanks for replying.

I've never used it but heard it's excellent for skin and hair. I did hear recently on the news against using it internally because of high saturated fat content. It may cause pancreatitis in dogs because it contains so much fat.

I did try it for my dogs. One dog couldn't tolerate it, the other, my brown cocker it did no good. I live in So CA, I have well water but, it's still very hard water so I'm always fighting dry coat in my dogs. I use a product called show stopper which does the trick. None of the oils worked well for my dogs.

Jackie O had to have a bath two days in a row due to....eewww. I did use coconut oil as a leave in conditioner for 3 days and then I toweled her skin and hair and made sure she was all clean and she looks so shiny and hasn't been itchy.

I've heard that you can use coconut to combat lice. I'm not sure if it's as a shampoo, or using the oil on their coat.

Back