rescue Cowboy found new home and picked up another- I now have another Stormy!

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
Cowboy found a new home about an hour away from me to live with a school teacher, who's hubby works for the state, and a boy- 16 and girl-14, plus a dog and a cat. Last year they lost a faithful companion of 13 years that one day just showed up on their doorstep and their other 5 year old dog needed another playmate- hence Cowboy. Below is a picture of him with his new family.

So, after I got off work I drove to OKC to pick up yet another that no one had room for from the Lawton Animal Shelter. This is another high kill shelter especially for owner surrender dogs for some reason. You'd think they'd be more adoptable since you'd know somewhat of their background. Anyways, this guy's momma got placed in a mental facility so to the shelter he went along with his sister, and if his sis didn't get adopted yesterday, she too will be getting pulled Tuesday which is the next day the shelter is open. She's half cocker half beagle and black/ tan just like her brother, Stormy. I thought it was ironic that was his name. He is a complete butterball and needs to go on a diet BAD! Any help in this area would be appreciated as he thinks he's absolutely starving! I'm not giving him any treats except veggies to help there. His personality is to die for, Awesome in that department and housebroken,already neutered and vetted, just needs a heartworm check. His pic is also below. If and when I get his sis I'll post her pic too.

Last edited:
So happy for Cowboy!

Stormy is a beautiful boy. He is so lucky to have found you. :)

Congrats on the placement of Cowboy. His new family looks wonderful. As for Stormy, all I can think of for a diet is the old green bean trick. Maybe you should just ship him to Polly. She seems to have a great love for dogs named Stormy.......LOL!

Robin
I'm so happy for Cowboy! What a very nice family! And the Black Stormy! He's so cute.. I'm sure that Mike with have some great pointers since he got Bear down to a manageable size.. I used to have such trouble with my Pookie and Tunie with weight.. I followed Linny's advice and kept them on Puppy Stew.. I would just feed him that and continue with the veggies as treats.. you will watch the weight melt off him..

Polly.... Bears weight problem was due to a low thyroid that was never treated, AND being free-fed "Ol Roy. Friggin dope of an owner had him tied to a tree and had the open bag out there for him to eat. Sigh.....
If Stormy's thyroid checks out ok, just a sensible natural diet should do the trick. No junk like milkbones and stuff like that. I've had 1 or 2 tubby ones come in besides Bear. Thats all that was needed, and they slimmed down just fine.

Stormy is a handsome boy too. Reminds me alot of my Murphy!

Yeah - sensible diet and all does work. Mozie came to me at a hulking 40 or so pounds. He could not jump into the car at all and I had a hard time picking his heftiness up. Mozie is a big dog - nothing delicate about him but he's down to 35 pounds now and he still needs a bit more gone. He does look humongous against a very waif-thin Merlin at 23 pounds but there's different bone structure and muscle. Charlie at 27 pounds looks awesome! He was skinny when I first brought him home but he's gained muscle but still maintains a respectable 28 pounds. I do feed a lot of fresh fruits and veggies plus Nutro Natural and supplements. Funny how Charlie first spit out a baby carrot but now he loves them!

Yup, what they said. Sensible diet and green beans and carrots. I steam the green beans first though.

Congrats on Cowboy's new family. Stormy has such a cute face. Don't overlook exercise. I'm having trouble with Gabby's weight because he still eats like he used to but doesn't exercise like he used to. Daily walks really helped keep his weight in check.

Wow, the new Stormy looks a LOT like my old guy Quigley that passed over the Rainbow Bridge in 2006. He's very handsome.

Well done on finding Cowboy a new home! You're doing great Robin!

yay, congrats Cowboy

and I would have the new guys thyroid levels checked. I don't use a lowfat or low protein food, in fact I do the opposite. They need proteins to burn off the fat and help them feel FULL and help get their metabolism going.

Kind of like the doggy Atkins diet. Low carbs

But he would need his heart checked first before you start him on the treadmill:naughty:

Back