Dead grass from dog urine?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I've heard that dog urine can leave spots of dead grass on a lawn. I've had neighbors freak out, "Don't let your dog pee on my grass! He'll ruin my lawn! :eek:" I've never had that problem with Gabby. If anything, the grass looks greener and denser where he pees. I haven't noticed any problem with Hoshi either. There IS a problem with my mom's male miniture pincher. This tiny dog apparently leaves dead spots in my lawn where he pee's. Anyone else having problems? Is their any particular breed or sex which is more problematic?

I've had a few here who's pee killed the grass. My Odie had deadly pee. Would kill anything.. Was an effective weed killer too. :naughty:

I think it has something to do with the PH balance of their urine. Odie always had highly concentrated urine. Even had crystals once.. so my guess is that its the acid content in the urine that is killing the grass.

I agree with Mike, I think it depends on the dog. Never really saw any problems from Precious/Prince, but Bailey likes to pee on the corner post of the deck stairs, and the grass around the bottom of it is completely gone. My lawn care guy says dog urine will kill new seedlings too if you try to replant or overseed.

We get a few dead spots on the lawn in the summer but I think it's because the lawn is small and it gets VERY hot here. Even thought we have a sprinkler system I think the lawn still can't get enough water. As soon as the rains come and it gets cooler, the lawn comes right back.

Going with Mike also. When I first got Charlie home his pee was deadly. I thought kidney infection or something but vet said he just needed a steady supply of clean water that he probably did not get in his previous home as a yard dog. Well he's home near a year now and he's not killing anything anymore. Had a female once who's pee ate holes in the asphalt driveway! She had a string of UTIs and crystals too until I got the cranberry tabs.

Stuff at the garden center to repair those spots in the yard. Have heard it works well...

I don't have anything to add since I have not had a lawn. At my mobile home, I had gardens in the front, and a dog run in the back that had flagstone and plants. They never killed anything. Here we have bouquet canyon river rock, it surrounds my cabin, no grass. Michael washes it down every day. ^_^

Yeah, it can kill the grass and females seem to be worse offenders...you can give them a supplement that is suppose to help. I think that Fosters and Smith might carry some.

During the fall or winter when it is rainy it dilutes the urine and is not as bad as the dry summer months. Sometimes if I am watering plants when the girls pee I water the spot where they go to dilute it.

Could be something in their diet. A great product to try is G-Whiz it helps prevent lawn burns which is a build up of ammonia in the dogs urine. Something to check out.

Back