dog food

Reserve's fine! She's still a baby, so that's good!! =)

AND it's a Sporting Dog show, which is a type of specialty. Even it it's not an "actual" cocker specialty, it's still a super thing... So be proud she got Reserve! =)

Yes that is very true Jen. I was just happy that she was showing ok. I am just pretty sad that the handler wants to keep her at her place as a kennel dog. Apparently she thinks Classy would do better locked up in a kennel all instead of in my house. Oh well go figure!!

Yes I am pretty disappointed. The way she had spoken to me Thursday night was in an ordering tone of voice so when I spoke to her yesterday I told her about it. I said " you know when I take a dog and train I put my heart and soul in it, so I was a little hurt yesterday with the way you spoke". Then she she said no no I did not mean to be that way you did a great job with her. Then she was saying well I think she needs to be a kennel dog and that will greatly help her and I need to put her on Eukanuba because I retuned the natural diets and they don't work. I told her well the "natural" diet you tried was Costco brand and that is terrible the food I feed I one of the best food out there. I also said that Classy is probably changing her coat and she agreed. Also Classy's mother has very sparse coat, the father does have some coat. She was used to Amelia coat, but not all bitches are like Amelia. Sorry to go on and on like this. But I believe in treating anybodies dog like they were my own. They are in the house with me, I play with them and train them, I take them out when I go places that allow dogs. Classy did make lots of progress. When I got her she did walk on a leash, now she is pointed. I did also take care of her coat, brushing every day and bath every week, just like Amelia.

Yes I am pretty disappointed. The way she had spoken to me Thursday night was in an ordering tone of voice so when I spoke to her yesterday I told her about it. I said " you know when I take a dog and train I put my heart and soul in it, so I was a little hurt yesterday with the way you spoke". Then she she said no no I did not mean to be that way you did a great job with her. Then she was saying well I think she needs to be a kennel dog and that will greatly help her and I need to put her on Eukanuba because I retuned the natural diets and they don't work. I told her well the "natural" diet you tried was Costco brand and that is terrible the food I feed I one of the best food out there. I also said that Classy is probably changing her coat and she agreed. Also Classy's mother has very sparse coat, the father does have some coat. She was used to Amelia coat, but not all bitches are like Amelia. Sorry to go on and on like this. But I believe in treating anybodies dog like they were my own. They are in the house with me, I play with them and train them, I take them out when I go places that allow dogs. Classy did make lots of progress. When I got her she did walk on a leash, now she is pointed. I did also take care of her coat, brushing every day and bath every week, just like Amelia.

I think that is very unfair. If Classy is changing her coat you could be feeding her food specially conjured for her by Dumbledore at Hogwarts, and her coat wouldn't be looking its best.

I'm a little depressed by this. I know you treated her and loved her as if she was one of your own dogs. I would think that would make her a much happier and better show dog.

Yea, I know Karen. I would think she would be a happier show dog as well. But the handler seems to think different. We will see what happens. I am going to let her see first hand. Classy is a soft dog and needs lots of praise and playtime oh and socialization as well. Without that she will shut down. But she wants to keep her in a small kennel with another dog and let them out to run once or twice a day. I know that she does not have time to work with her everyday. She says "I want her to bond with me". I think that if you want her to bond with you you have to work her everyday with lots of treats and praise. Not by walking by the kennel and calling her name sometimes. The kennel is not in her house it is in the garage. True they put a nice floor and insulation and yes it is clean, but dogs need more than that. That's just my opinion. Lets see what happens. Oh yea and the handler approached the breeder/ owner who is elderly and not in great health for me to co own Classy with her. I said yea I would the breeder said oh maybe but getting rid of my breeding stock. I said well if you want her bred fine we can consult and find a suitable male once that time comes in a few years. I would be happy to whelp the puppies. To that there was no answer. Of course time will tell.

Yea, I know Karen. I would think she would be a happier show dog as well. But the handler seems to think different. We will see what happens. I am going to let her see first hand. Classy is a soft dog and needs lots of praise and playtime oh and socialization as well. Without that she will shut down. But she wants to keep her in a small kennel with another dog and let them out to run once or twice a day. I know that she does not have time to work with her everyday. She says "I want her to bond with me". I think that if you want her to bond with you you have to work her everyday with lots of treats and praise. Not by walking by the kennel and calling her name sometimes. The kennel is not in her house it is in the garage. True they put a nice floor and insulation and yes it is clean, but dogs need more than that. That's just my opinion. Lets see what happens. Oh yea and the handler approached the breeder/ owner who is elderly and not in great health for me to co own Classy with her. I said yea I would the breeder said oh maybe but getting rid of my breeding stock. I said well if you want her bred fine we can consult and find a suitable male once that time comes in a few years. I would be happy to whelp the puppies. To that there was no answer. Of course time will tell.
I'm so sorry you are disapointed. I hope that little Classy does well with the handler. Maybe you should do as your said and show your own pup next. {{{{hugs}}}}

Last edited:
The hander is still my friend though her and I disagree on a few things. I just think she is over whelmed with dogs. So as a result the dogs suffer. When I do breed Amelia in a few years, yes I will show the pup myself. That way I have no worries about my dog. Sure I consult with her on a few things but I know to take everything with a grain of salt.

You are so much kinder than I would be. I was fostering a cat and I rehomed her; on paper the family was perfect but when I did the home visit it was disgraceful. They had lied about multiple things. I took Misha the cat back. They got mad and yelled at me and said terrible things but I was just like "No, you aren't suitable for her, you lied, and I'm done talking to you."

I know the situations are different, but it makes me so sad that people think any type of dog would be fine in a kennel. Then again, my two sleep in bed with me and go to work with me most days.

All said and done you did right by Classy, and I'm sure you did an amazing job. Some people are just difficult. It's a a crappy situation for anyone to be in.

Thank you, wow. The life those dogs of your have. Sleeping in bed and going to work with you some days. More dogs should be able to have that. I did the best I could with Classy, yes I miss her. I think she misses the playing and loving environment. I hope she does OK. Still don't know how everything went today. Yes I am friends with the handler, sometimes I get a little upset or frustrated. I think she doesn't realize if she hurt someone. She gets overwhelmed sometimes with all the dogs. Though I have been with this delightful breed for quite a while. I am still learning. I had one other champion but that was 15 years ago. I do love to learn and I am grateful for all the advice that is given to me. One of my goals is to breed quality dogs. I am focused on the health of the dogs but also the temperament. This handler is who I got Amelia from and I do like that she is conscious about the health of the dogs she breeds. I will have fun with puppies of my own. I have been doing research about what I am going to do and how I will raise them.

So Classy picked up 2 points today. Apparently she showed good all weekend. Now she is up to 5 points. The handler called today we talked for a little bit. She said "I don't want any hard feelings between us". I said that I didn't want there to be either. Then she said that if I had not taken Classy she would not be where she is today. It is still kind of sad not to have her at my house. My dogs had been looking for her for the last few days. I am happy how Classy is doing. She did say that she was going to take her out often to work with her. I do miss her still.

Professional handlers are after one result and that is to win,which is how they make their living. They feed and condition there dogs different than we do. I had the honor of visiting a "Top Handlers" home and getting one of his dogs...he shared so much knowledge with me. The first thing he did was tell me I would want to change her "Eukanuba" diet which was mixed with can food and several different oils and fed as a mush twice a day. It produded soft stools and tarter build up on her teeth as she never had anything hard to chew on. She was filled out perfect and you could all but see yourself in her shiny black hair. She was one stunning little girl but as beautiful as she was she did not make it in the show world or kennel life and placed in a pet home with us. So as good as Eukanuba worked for his show dogs he did not recommend it for family dogs.
So please don't feel bad about what your handler said about Classy's diet...that is just what she has found that produces her the best conditioned winning dogs for the ring. They also feel in a kennel is best for them...no play all work and all business.
My Cocker is on an all natural Canidae diet which he does great on,he stays a nice weight,good skin and ears. We do what works and is best for our dogs...top handlers do what is best to win.

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy,
True about the professional handlers. She has really only had experience with Eukanuba and also the "natural" Costco dog food. She compares the Costco food to all the natural diets out there. But I did tell her that no two
natural grain free diets are the same. I think she knows now. She of course did see Amelia's coat and always remarked that she looks good. I know that she has very strong opinions about things. I know that she has been in it for a long time. I noticed that when she gets on these little rants it is either because she is tired or had a stressful day. I am not going to take this personal anymore. I just let her talk. I do what is good for my dogs, what is working for them. If a particular food seems not to agree with them, I will change until I find what works. I have been feeding Orijen to Amelia since I got her. Fenway eats Acana. Same company both are grain free. So far it has been fine for them. Fenway I know cannot have corn or wheat. He gets very itchy and will have seizures.

You are so right Nicole...each natural food if "very" different and some do not agree with all dogs. My Son has a rescue English Bulldog which has as many problems if not more than Cockers with skin and eye issues and really easy to get overweight. We changed her to an all natural diet and then changed brands several more times till we found the one that worked for her,once you find that correct amount of protein that works for them it is like magic happens,the weight came off her,she could breath easier,begin to play,infections clear up and she came off ALL her skin meds. So I, like you am a true believer of natural food as I have seen the results and watched the health issue disappear when the correct food is fed.
We love of dogs and know them better than anyone,we noticed everything they do,any new spot on their skin,if they are scratching their ears, any change in their behavior and even what their poop looks like...lol
It is very obivious that you are doing an exceptional job with your dogs as they are absolutely "STUNNING!"
It takes a very loving,caring owner to keep working till they find what works best for their beloved kids.
So I would let the handler rant all she wanted to because she will never know Classy the way you do.

Last edited:
I have NO experience in showing cockers in breed only performance events, but it seems to me that this handler might not be the best for this dog?? My dogs are 'right' for me - they might be horrible in another home and vice versa with another dog.

Back