DOG TEARING and TEAR STAINS

macyck

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone, my buff cocker spaniel is currently 20 months old. he has very noticeable tearing on both his eyes. And I am very worried if there is smthg wrong with his eyes.

I tried to clean them everyday, with eye clean solution, gave him brita filtered water with apple cider.

Is there anything I can do to help his situation? Thanks alot :)

The stains are natural so please don't worry. I'm sure someone can give you a suggestion. You can google "dog tear stain" for suggestions in the meantime.

You could have your vet check him out just to be sure there is no infection. But, Manuel is right, especially with the light cockers. A warm washcloth is part of my morning grooming routine.

There is also a product called angel eyes that some like to use. It's a food additive, it's antibiotic powder, for that reason I don't use it. I don't like giving my cocker antibiotics unless they need them.

I have a black and tab an a parti and both of them have obvious tearing. Every morning and night I use one of those wet wipes for pet eyes and clean them up

Tear staining is common. Many times foods can lessen it. Many of the more natural foods will cut down on tear staining. My buff does not have any stains.

There is a product called eye envy which is good for tear stains. Better than a lot of other products.

Apple cider vinegar in their water does wonders it is also a fairly cheap solution It has to do with an over abundance of yeast in their systems. The vinegar kills the yeast, stops itching and redness, and gets rid of tearing.

thank you fr the valuable advices. I have noted that the tearing happens right after he eats. and that's the only time his eye area is wet.

Any idea what could be the problem?
Is it the food?
is it the material of the bowl? (Plastic/ceramic/metal)

This is infrequently seen in English Cockers, but has become a chronic occurence in Americans.

Consider that the tear glands constantly produce moisture otherwise the dog would be suffering from the condition known as "Dry Eye".

There is normally a tube connecting the inside corner (lacrimal area) to the naso-pharyngeal (throat) region. This provides a natural drainage for the excess tear liquid.

It's possible that this drainage tube is contricted/blocked due to hereditary factors, including the selection for shorter muzzles in the American Cockers.

It's also quite possible that an infection has occured within the tube or an allergy is present which causes a slight swelling of the tissue around the tube and restricts the drainage flow.

If caught early enough, a veterinary opthalmologist can "roto-root" the blockage (maybe it's better to compare the procedure to "flossing") and provide steroid/antibiotic drops to allow healing without scar tissue buildup.

If an allergy reaction is the culprit, then identifying and avoiding the irritant may provide relief.

Back