Dremels

Marclay

Owned by
1 cocker
OK...I did some research this weekend and ordered a pet dremel. Jersey is the ONLY one I can trim nails and not have a total scene with. I haven't tried Audra yet...my guilitine nail trimmers need replaced...the last time I used them on Jersey and Apollo they were crushing the nail and not cutting it :-( And Apollo is too funny -- he lays there, not trying to get away at all, but then screams and cries like you are killing him as you do his nails so I thought I might try the dremel. I was reading to take a trouser sock and slide it over the paws of long hair dogs and poke the nails through as this will protect the hair from being pulled in.

I usually trim nails every two weeks...and totally forgot about the clippers needing replaced of course until I was ready this weekend. Decided to try this....

This is what I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7300-PT-4-8-Volt-Pet-Grooming/dp/B003TU0XG4

I'm curious if anyone has ever used a Dremel and what they thought of it? Probably should have asked before I ordered this but my initial thought is Apollo...I think Jersey will still need clipped since she and "power" tools do not get along well.

Oh wait til u trim Audra's nails. If u liked how she stood for grooming, she's a dream with nails. Lol. I like dremels too

Heather I still use the guillotine nail clippers, they look like pliers. I'm so afraid of nails, the dogs can sense it. I only do Stormy's and Peppers. Pogo goes to the vets. I tried the dremel once, it didn't work for me, but, since I'm afraid, I'm not a good example. Kelly uses it, she will have answers. I think Robin uses one for certain dogs, but, not her own.

Wonderful to know Robin!!!! Audra was/is wonderful about grooming!...a dream really. She laid in my lap yesterday like my cats do...on her back and let me comb her legs, arm pits, the whole nine! I was going to clip everyone's nails this weekend and then remembered that my clippers are shot. I know I have a back up pair but they are the sissor kind and I do not like those. I don't feel I can see where I am cutting. So since we were stuck at home with the snow, I got online and started researching the dremel...LOL

My reasoning for the dremel is the fact that all but 2 of Apollo's toes are black...it is so hard to cut them quickly because you have to take slivers off and watch not to get the quick. And well he is dramatic about the entire process. The dremel is the same principle but if we can push that quick back and shorten up those nails I think it would be less tramatic for him. And well Audra too has dark nails. I never think I trim the dark ones close enough. And the trouser sock was a AWESOME tip I thought....LOL

Thank you ladies! Yes, I am going to stop and get a new pair of clippers on the way home tonite just so I don't get off my own routine. I know what to cut on Apollo as long as I don't wait longer than the 2 weeks. And well it will be Audra's first trimming....I don't want to wait on her's any longer either. Besides the dremel is not going to be a quick deal...we have to work up to it I know. So in the meantime...they NEED clipped!

I use a dremel for nails - but I bought one from the hardware store. I find the pet ones are slow and wimpy, so it ends up taking forever. I love the dremel - the dogs handle it well and I can get close to the quick without hurting the dogs.

I am a complete and utter wuss when it comes to nails. I let the groomer do them. Just the thought of attempting Ki's all black nails gives me the heebeejeebies. I find if they do them once a month and then we walk daily on concrete neither of mine need it done more often.

I have used a dremel before but that was about 15 years ago. I am sure things are better but had a difficult time with all the hair on the feet. My dogs were fine with it though. I believe I still have the dremel. I use a guillotine clipper with mine. Amelia is a dream to do nails and to groom. Fenway is ok with nails. I do remember using the nylon sock but it was not the greatest.

I do like a dremel, I was such a woose about dong the girls nails that I would have them done at the vets. Hannah hated it. I bought one of the ones on tv and it worked OK but I knocked it off the grooming table and broke it. I bought a new one from Home Depot (not pet) and I don't know what it is but Hannah will not let me near her with it. She Barks at it and fights me....not worth it, so she goes and gets them done at the groomers, where she is fine. Someone suggested that it might make a higher pitch (the motor) which bothers her.

I do Levi's with nail clippers because of the hair...but I have always done my Sons Bulldog with a dremel,she has big tough nails and mine also can from Lowes as the pet ones was not powerful enough. They may work fine on your Bostons.

I've been using a dremmel for a long time. Its the only way I could get the required 'cat feet' on my doberman. It can be tricky to do the nails with all the hair but I havent had a problem too many times. Dremmel is in 1 hand and I push the hair back and expose the nail and go. move on to next.

The trick to using a dremmel is that you put it on the nail for a few seconds and then move on. So I start on 1 toe and grind straight across and go through the whole paw and then go back and round edges. This keeps the nail from getting too hot from the friction. If you have to go through a 3rd time then do the next paw first and go back to that paw later.

I commandeered dh's dremmel for nails and have a grinding stone so I dont have to keep replacing those little bands. I havent been able to find a new stone in a while though.

I do nails every Sunday and if they seem long, I'll do them 2nd time during the week. For a dog with long nails doing them every 3-4 days will help get the quick to recede.

Marco always hated having his nails done so I'd get one of my girls to feed him cookies while I did the nails.

Thank you! This is very helpful info!

I've been using a dremmel for a long time. Its the only way I could get the required 'cat feet' on my doberman. It can be tricky to do the nails with all the hair but I havent had a problem too many times. Dremmel is in 1 hand and I push the hair back and expose the nail and go. move on to next.

The trick to using a dremmel is that you put it on the nail for a few seconds and then move on. So I start on 1 toe and grind straight across and go through the whole paw and then go back and round edges. This keeps the nail from getting too hot from the friction. If you have to go through a 3rd time then do the next paw first and go back to that paw later.

I commandeered dh's dremmel for nails and have a grinding stone so I dont have to keep replacing those little bands. I havent been able to find a new stone in a while though.

I do nails every Sunday and if they seem long, I'll do them 2nd time during the week. For a dog with long nails doing them every 3-4 days will help get the quick to recede.

Marco always hated having his nails done so I'd get one of my girls to feed him cookies while I did the nails.

I just got a pedi-paws, which is basically a dremel with a cover...
Surprisingly, considering that Coda doesn't really like things with a motor like my hair clippers and he doesn't like his feet being touched much, he has taken to it very quickly and today I was able to grind all of his nails...
i get nervous with the nail clippers because some of his nails are black and it's so easy to cut too much off!

Wonderful Louise!! Glad Cody took to the dremel so quickly! They are lots less intimidating than clippers for not cutting into the quick :)

I'm glad the pedi-paws worked for you. They sure didn't for me.. not at all. I am able to trim my Stormy's and Peppers, but, my Pogo has to go to the vet once a month.

Back