Dry eye

KsKathy

Owned by
1 cocker
What is everyone else using for dry eye. Charlie has one that is a problem and the solid gold that they are trying to sell me at the vets is not totally workable. The eye never seems to bother him but he gets HUGE goobers on it and occasionally it gets really red in the white area.

Kathy

it kind of depends on how severe it is. For instance, did they do the shirmer ? test? to see what his numbers are?'

For simple dry eye, I use Genteal -- the gel kind in a tube. Sometimes I use Similson, but others like to use optimmune that is compounded at a special pharmacy and is in olive oil.

Beefing up immunities can also help.

Gabby uses Tacrolimus. It's been working good for him. Last time he had his tear production tested it was normal. My other cocker Hoshi thinks Gabby is getting a treat when I put Gabby's drops in. Hoshi jumps all over me and Gabby. The other day I tried putting Gabby's drops in and Hoshi knocked over the bottle. Half of it spilled ($35.00) worth. Hoshi jumped up on the bench where it spilled and started licking it up before I stopped him. Later, Hoshi barfed his dinner. >_<

optimune is what the vet has scripted but he charges and arm and a leg and then the tube splits and I loose a lot of it. May try to get him to scribe some of the other. Am also thinking of changing vets - for several reasons but the biggest being that he is so much more expensive than others in the area.

Puralube for Coco. Max was on the Puralube and Optimmune cause he only had one eye and the vet was trying very hard not to lose that one.

I have kinda dry eyes my self and my eye doctor tells me to use Liquid Tears ( a good brand) a few times a day. I use them also to clean Hannahs eyes out if she gets goopies~ my Vet suggested this.

Why can't doggies use it also for dryness?????

I use clear eyes by optimal pet. Linny where do you get the genteal? Vets? Robin's vet recommended something else for Stormy, I have get out his papers to see what it is.. my vet said to just use similson ..

I have kinda dry eyes my self and my eye doctor tells me to use Liquid Tears ( a good brand) a few times a day. I use them also to clean Hannahs eyes out if she gets goopies~ my Vet suggested this.

Why can't doggies use it also for dryness?????

Oh, they can Anita, I've used over-the-counter Natural Tears (drops) and Lacri-lube (ointment) on Gabby. The vet even suggested it along with his prescription medication.

Oh, they can Anita, I've used over-the-counter Natural Tears (drops) and Lacri-lube (ointment) on Gabby. The vet even suggested it along with his prescription medication.

I asked my niece today who raises and shows dogs this question as she also has worked for a Vet at times. She said any good over the counter LIQUID TEARS is what she has used when she has had a problem. So Manuel I guess you are not the only one that says this. Probably cheeper too.
Anita

My previous vet who treated Maxwell told me that there's a difference between the OTC liquid tears and the Puralube. For one - the gel tears (whatever brand) last longer and protect better than the liquid. Also it's what kind of tears they need. Apparently three different layers of moisture in an eyeball. Now personally - I tried the Puralube (fresh tube) on my own eyes and it burned like hot charcoal in my eyes! DANG it hurt!!! BUT - I needed no more OTC tears for about a week. After the initial assault on my eyes, I could actually see better and had no discomfort for a whole week! Considering the pain of it I am now back to OTC liquid tears for my own eyes. Yeah - that hurt! I also cannot use the allergy-type moisturizer in my eyes. It makes me wanna put ice cubes in my eyeballs!

I've personally had dry eyes for as long as I can remember, and getting Lasik a few years ago didn't help. The eye doctor turned me on to Systane and I still use it 3 years later. It's about the same price as Visine or Clear Eyes but doesn't burn at all. Put a few drops on your fingers and you can feel how it's "slicker" than some other drops. Comes in several size bottles or you can get single use travel vials. I use it once or twice a week and it makes a world of difference. Assuming the doggies can use human OTC stuff ........ it's great. And the best tip of all? Keep it in the fridge (or at least someplace cool) and it feels even more wonderful going into the eyes.

I may look for that Systane for me and then try for Charlie. Eye doctor gave me a script for Patady (sp?) and it is a teeny tiny little bottle and even with my super medicine plan I had to pay $9.00 for it which is the middle range of what we have to pay so it was expensive for just a little bit of medicine.

Haven't had Charlie in for quite awhile on his eyes but they did use the strips and his right eye was way dry and that is still the problem eye. Not sure what other tests they can do but don't see the sense 'cause it's dry and sometimes gets infected. Just doesn't even seem to bother him. Even when he actually had a growth on his eyeball it only seemed to bother me. Go figure.

Kathy

Kathy, Costco sells Systane in a 2 pack. I bought some for Gabby.

Wondering about this..

I wondered about this home remedy for dry eye, I sure would love to see what the x-perts think!

On several lists I belong to I have seen using plain mineral oil in a dogs eye before as a lubercant.. I have never.. I just use the perscription for Stormy and the Clear Eyes I get from my store, I'm going to get some of the Systane to try also (Thanks Roy for the link! since I don't belong to costco)

Anyway.. what do you all think?

I wondered about this home remedy for dry eye, I sure would love to see what the x-perts think!

On several lists I belong to I have seen using plain mineral oil in a dogs eye before as a lubricant.. I have never.. I just use the prescription for Stormy and the Clear Eyes I get from my store, I'm going to get some of the Sustainer to try also (Thanks Roy for the link! since I don't belong to costco)

Anyway.. what do you all think?

I'm not sure. My only worry would be infection. I'm pretty sure any eye medication (prescription/OTC) is sterile.

we always used OTC liquid tears at the vet clinic i worked at...true they don't last as long but they are sterile which is a big deal and they alleviated the discomfort...good luck

I'm not sure. My only worry would be infection. I'm pretty sure any eye medication (prescription/OTC) is sterile.

Exactly what I thought Manuel.. I'm sticking to my drops.^_^

Roy!
Thanks for the tip about systaine! I followed your link and ordered the 3 bottles! I'm so happy with it. I can sure see a difference in Stormy's eyes, the stuff works better than the vets script!

And it is great for Tunie also!!!^_^

One of the good ones (optimune) the expensive one that is done at a compound pharmacy has olive oil in it

Back