Dylan's Visit with the Allergist

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Things will really be changing around here. Dylan is really yeasty. His ears aren't clearing up very fast and his paws are all red. His ears will still be flushed, teeth cleaned, and bump removed from his eye in two weeks. His antibiotic doseage has been increased. Meantime Dylan, and Riley by default, are on the fish and potato diet. Nothing but fish and potatoes for the next 45 days. If Dylan clears up entirely, he might stay on the diet. The allergist suspects Dylan's allergies are more environmental than food related. At the end of the 45 days we'll be talking about allergy medications for Dylan. I did find precut chinks of sweet potatoe in a microwaveable bag at Trader Joes. I cooked it up in the microwave and put their pills in chunks of sweet potato. They both loved it.

Aww Karen!
Well at least you are getting to the bottom of Dylan's problems. What kind of fish? Are you using a prepared food or cooking for the boys?

karenwalksthedogs said:
I did find precut chinks of sweet potatoe in a microwaveable bag at Trader Joes. I cooked it up in the microwave and put their pills in chunks of sweet potato. They both loved it.
That sounds like a healthy way of giving pills. I hope Dylan gets better soon. Have you washed all his bedding? See if it helps and use a hypo-allergenic soap.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm feeding Dylan a RX diet from the vet right now. It's white fish and potato. I'm not sure how I could cook for him at this point since he can't have veggies and needs the vitamins added from the food. I can make his treats by either baking potatoes or sweet potatoes. He can also have Salmon Chummies which both dogs seem to like. I'll wash all the dog bed covers tomorrow. That might help.

Karen, are you in a really humid or damp environment? In places with lots of dew or rain or humidity, I find that can aggravate yeast too. You can try keeping a clean towel by the door that the dogs go in and out of and seeing if drying off their feet really well each time helps. It's really time-intensive, though.

When doing laundry, use fragrance-free soap and no softener or dryer sheets. Sometimes the fragrance in those things can aggravate allergies. You can buy special laundry soap for babies or the environmentally friendly stuff - they are more natural.

Environmental allergies are the pits, because you can only control so much of the environment. I hope the diet helps!

Back