Eye Crud

rspeaker

Owned by
2 cockers
so it looks like Mack is going to be one of the cockers that gets a lot of eye crud .... the others I could always just wipe them clean but Mack's discharge seems to harden up almost instantly and gets all clumpy with his facial hair. I don't think it's allergies since it's colder than snot here right now (unless it's food related). I try to loosen it up with my fingers but don't want to pull on it and hurt him. Has anyone found anything safe and effective at softening the crud up so I can wipe it clear?

Thanks.

And even an old toothbrush would help as well. Warm water is a must. Is it the eye that he had the operation? Or both? If just the one, call your vet as he may need some drops. Could also be a clogged duct.

several of mine wake up with crusty boogers - I just pick it off and eeeuwwww, they want to eat it. Especially the bichons.

And even an old toothbrush would help as well. Warm water is a must. Is it the eye that he had the operation? Or both? If just the one, call your vet as he may need some drops. Could also be a clogged duct.

It's both eyes, but he did have both eyes operated on. I was planning to take him in for a check up after the holidays anyhow just to make sure everything's growing like it should be :)

Moose rarely get one but if he should he does not mind if I stick my finger in his eye to retrieve it. Now cleaning his ears that is a different story

Lulu gets the eye boogers so bad they run down her face before we really have a chance to do anything about them. We try to wipe them, but half the time she pees on the floor when we try. If we leave them her favorite thing to do is wipe them on furniture, blankets and us :x Our vet said her eyes are probably just really dry and gave us an ointment. It seems to be helping, but Aaron is rather sporadic about applying it. Once I'm really capable of helping I'm going to have him show me how to do it so we can be a little more consistent.

The only other thing we've found that helps is to give her filtered water. Not sure why that is, but it does help her a lot.

I use a washcloth on Hoshi. He gets them too. It took some getting used to for him. I still can't give him eye drops. "Hey! What's this!? What's this!?" My older cocker spaniel was real good about eye drops. Something like Systane eye lubricant really helps (if you can get it in).

Chicka gets the kind you are talking about and we had her checked out during her dental. She only has two tear ducts open, those were full of gunk so got flushed. The other two need surgery to open, don't know if I will do that. Chase has never had too much trouble but we just took him to the eye clinic as he was getting the cruddy ones and squinting, he is not producing enough tears so he gets the artificial tears 2x day, has to be preservative free tho.

To clean we just wash thier faces with a warm rag of cotton pad.

I use a washcloth on Hoshi. He gets them too. It took some getting used to for him. I still can't give him eye drops. "Hey! What's this!? What's this!?" My older cocker spaniel was real good about eye drops. Something like Systane eye lubricant really helps (if you can get it in).

LOL...treats make for easy eyedrops. Hold the the treats in your hand under his chin. Use the other hand to raise his eyebrow and place the drop.

If I had three arms that would work great. :p

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Back