Eye Mucus

BlueJay

Owned by
1 cocker
For the last couple of days, Asia has had mucus draining from both her eyes draining near the tear duct. The breeder said to wash it off with warm water and take a wait and see.....it could be an allergy. Allergy? Great! Right up my alley. Anyway, lifting up her eyelid, her eye is irritated and red.

Not a problem to go to the vet, the problem is getting the knucklehead into the car. She refuses to go even near the car, never mind in it. I'm not hercules and she weighs about 125lbs. Big cocker, eh? :)

The knucklehead needs to go to a vet, but if anyone has a suggestion, I would be one happy camper to give it a try!

Many thanks!

Patti, Ruffia & Asia Behr......Honorary Cocker Members

Hi Patti,

Around here it's allergy time. I flush eyes with a regular (people) sort of tears flush and wipe under the eye (fur) to keep it in bay.

Is it green? Does her nose have any boogers?

Our big old oak tree is usually to blame for the dogs allergies, but also we've had a LOT of rain and it's probably causing some mold under any leaves that have fallen on the ground.

Sure hope you can get that big pup in the car.

Does Asia have a dry nose? It could be dry eye as a dry nose is a symptom.

BlueJay, you can update your profile to include your 'honorary cockers.'

Hi Patti,

Around here it's allergy time. I flush eyes with a regular (people) sort of tears flush and wipe under the eye (fur) to keep it in bay.

Our big old oak tree is usually to blame for the dogs allergies, but also we've had a LOT of rain and it's probably causing some mold under any leaves that have fallen on the ground.

Hey Manuel......How ya doing? Thanks for the reply! No boogers, eye mucus has a slight green color to it, but mostly white. I'm on Long Island and we certainly have had our share of the rain!! The breeder thought it was an allergy and told me just to keep her eyes clean.

This is my luck.....a dog of her size refuses to even go near the car. Breeder was here, told her in a stern voice "get inside the car" and jerked on the leash and the knucklehead hopped into the car. I did it while he was here, she hopped in the car. He leaves, she ain't getting in the car, no way, no how! Anyone have a crane they aren't using?

Hi Patti,

oops.....now I'm the knucklehead. I should have responded to you rather than Manuel with what I posted. Thank you for your help. Is there a specific brand of drops I should buy over the counter?

TIA

Does Asia have a dry nose? It could be dry eye as a dry nose is a symptom.

BlueJay, you can update your profile to include your 'honorary cockers.'

No dry nose, actually it runs every now and then.

S.O.S.------>How do I update a profile? I can type close to 90wpm, but I'm not computer savvy. In other words.......I don't know how the heck to do that :)

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr........Honorary Cocker Members

Can you toss her favorite toy or treat into the truck/car and perhaps she'll hop in?

I use Refresh tears -- can get them almost anywhere

Hi Patti,

Have you tryed opening both back doors? I know that it sounds weird but it may work. What you do is open both doors, tell her to get in and then stop her before she can exit the other door. Shut the door she just entered catching her leash in it to prevent her exiting the other open door. Go around to the open door and give her a treat, tell lher she is a good girl and shut the door.

My daughters dog will not jump into the back of my Envoy, where he has to ride cause of the drool factor (he gets car sick) If I put the seat down between the cargo area and the back seat he will jump up into the back seat and then I put him into the cargo area and put the back seat back up. Had to come up with something after my surgery and could not lift his 72 lb but up there. Now it is just easier.

No dry nose, actually it runs every now and then.

S.O.S.------>How do I update a profile? I can type close to 90wpm, but I'm not computer savvy. In other words.......I don't know how the heck to do that :)

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr........Honorary Cocker Members

Your profile is the same place you added "1 cocker." Go to User Cp then Edit Your Details.

Can you toss her favorite toy or treat into the truck/car and perhaps she'll hop in?

I use Refresh tears -- can get them almost anywhere

Thanks a bunch for the info on Refresh Tears. Absolutely going to try it today!

Toys, food, stern voice, opening all doors including the hatchback on the 4x4, Ruffian sitting in the truck and me hugging him and trying to get her jealous to come in.......nothing has worked, however, I haven't tried standing on my head holding a box of treats. She's impossible! I've never heard of a dog not wanting to go into a car. Her fears are not limited to the car....she never let me put a choker on her, she takes off like a bat if I try. She's afraid of her own shadow. Someone is at the front door, she lets Ruffian handle that and runs up the stairs and peeks down to see what's happening. She's a wimp :)

Hi Patti,

Linny.........dat you???

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr....Honorary Cocker Members

Thanks a bunch for the info on Refresh Tears. Absolutely going to try it today!

Toys, food, stern voice, opening all doors including the hatchback on the 4x4, Ruffian sitting in the truck and me hugging him and trying to get her jealous to come in.......nothing has worked, however, I haven't tried standing on my head holding a box of treats. She's impossible! I've never heard of a dog not wanting to go into a car. Her fears are not limited to the car....she never let me put a choker on her, she takes off like a bat if I try. She's afraid of her own shadow. Someone is at the front door, she lets Ruffian handle that and runs up the stairs and peeks down to see what's happening. She's a wimp :)

You haven't tried raw steak yet? Gabby would kill for steak. :p

I'm hanging in there Patti.

It's been a long and bumpy ride and will continue to get better as time passes, I HOPE. Today I didn't take my afternoon nap. I did lay down for a bit, but didn't pass out from exhaustion or pain.

Am back to eating a few decent meals a day, and not taking anything stronger than an Advil or two daily.

Well, that doesn't count my xanax. Those are mommy's little helpers.

I had a dog one with dry eye and the other allergies. I had to buy saline solution and flush her eyes out with it. You can get it at a chemist or the vet, after i did it , i rewarded it, and every time she swam i had to do it also.

The other thing I had to get is lacrilube, unlike other eye medication lacrilube lubriactes the eye, which alot don't and soothes the eye also. You can buy it from any chemist i think. I live in Australia and that is where i get it from. My mum has a dog that gets bad eyes from allergies and scracthes them and she has to put lacrilube in on bad days, and it relieves them for him.

Some eye medication if you put them in, is for dry eye, where the dog does not produce enough tears, it can easily be tested at a vet, with a little strip which measure how much tears a dog has, my Misty had dry eye and had to be monitored every few months to ensure the drops were working, because apparently some drops can cause tears to stop being created all together.

I hope all goes well. Good luck with the car, I can't help much there as my dogs love the car, as i take them everywhere with me. have you tried putting the dog in the car, and taking it to a fun place like a park, beach or somewhere other than a vet, so it associates the car with going fun places, r just a quick drive. Putting treats in the car that he loves, one near the front and throughout the car to try and bribe him, then go to a fun place that is his reward.

All the best and good luck

Back