Farley

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
For the past month Keith and I have had to make some tough choices. Farley has always had IBD issues and they were getting worse so our vet suggested getting him scoped at the Vetinary Specialty Hospital in Sacramento. When the scope was finished we knew Farley had a carcinoma in his bowel. We had to make a tough choice to do a surgery where they would invert Farley’s bowel, cut out the bad section and reattach it.

The surgery failed. The stitches came undone. He was leaking feces into his gut and also his bladder was completely filled. We had to make a second decision and they attached his bowel directly to his skin. He fecally incontinent and currently urine incontinent. We are really hoping that clears up as he gets off medication. The doctors can’t figure out the reason for him to be unable to hold his pee. He does not like the doggie diapers and refuses to walk while wearing them. I’ve made him one and he likes it better but we’ll need a lot more of them.

Please keep Farley in your cocker prayers as he recovers and adjusts.

Karen, I'm so sorry about Farley. Intestinal surgery has high complication rates even with people. Even with best intentions wounds often develop. It's possible they nicked a nerve to his bladder during the surgery. Hopefully, things will get better once he's healed.

PS: Incontinence makes him prone to bladder infections. Make sure he drinks plenty of water to flush the bacteria out of his bladder.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the well wishes. It’s been tough. Whenever Farley goes outside he tried to have a bowel movement but doesn’t try to urinate. His diapers are wet but after his last surgery his belly bands were really soaked so that’s no guarantee his bladder is being emptied. He will go to our vet clinic on Monday to have a vet check his bladder. I’m trying out babies pull ups now. I cut a slit for his tail. They seem to fit him but he still won’t walk.

When the diapers come off so Farley can go outside he’s very happy and his tail wags but he can’t go without anything on in the house.

Karen I’m so sorry, that is tough. Chase was having issues when on high doses of pred for a bit, he too has serious GI issues but thankfully no cancer. I get how tough it is, with the incontinence. His breeder told me to get the biggest maxi pad sold at Costco for incontinence, if you want I can get the brand name. She said it works best in the belly band. Hugs and prayers he will make quick improvement.

Unfortunately Farley has fecal incontinence also so he has to wear a diaper instead of a belly band. I’ve been finding that pull ups work best for his body type. They are both long enough and thin enough. I’ve tried both homemade diapers and training pants where I cut a hole for the tail and use a maxi pad but neither seem to do as good a job at both keeping in both the urine and the poop.

We figured out the reason Farley won’t walk in his diapers of any kind is that they rub on the staples closing the opening where he had his drain. Hopefully when they come out he will be willing to walk around in his diaper.

Poor Farley, and, poor Karen. I know those staples can't come out soon enough.

For the past month Keith and I have had to make some tough choices. Farley has always had IBD issues and they were getting worse so our vet suggested getting him scoped at the Vetinary Specialty Hospital in Sacramento. When the scope was finished we knew Farley had a carcinoma in his bowel. We had to make a tough choice to do a surgery where they would invert Farley’s bowel, cut out the bad section and reattach it.

The surgery failed. The stitches came undone. He was leaking feces into his gut and also his bladder was completely filled. We had to make a second decision and they attached his bowel directly to his skin. He fecally incontinent and currently urine incontinent. We are really hoping that clears up as he gets off medication. The doctors can’t figure out the reason for him to be unable to hold his pee. He does not like the doggie diapers and refuses to walk while wearing them. I’ve made him one and he likes it better but we’ll need a lot more of them.

Please keep Farley in your cocker prayers as he recovers and adjusts.
I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers for Farley.🙏🏻

I'm so sorry the surgery failed. What is the longer term prognosis? I'll be thinking of you

The second surgery, fingers crossed since we’re not out of the woods yet, has so far been successful. Farley still doesn’t have bladder control. The vets think that after his first surgery the infection irritated his urethra and distended his bladder muscles. Consequently I have learned a new skill; how to express a dog’s bladder. They are hoping that the expression, along with some medication they had to order, will help his muscles regain their strength and he will regain control. Farley does not have fecal control but his stools are getting firmer and he is still refusing to walk while wearing diapers so I am lugging a 22 pound dog all over in the house but he scampers merrily about outside where he can be diaper free.

Thanks for the update Karen, each day is a gift. Please keep us in the loop. I bet you can't wait for those staples to be out. Hopefully then his new fashion pants won't rub and he will be strutting around in them.

So glad he is doing better, I hope he continues to improve. My vet had similar problems with one her cats after major bladder surgery. She finally put him on hemp and it has made all the difference, it is good for inflammation and irritation. I’m using it on my dogs now also. The company she goes through is Canna Companion, it is developed through a vet and we work with her.

Farley still has no bladder or bowel control. He is also still refusing walk while wearing a diaper. He’s also sleeping a lot. However, he’s off all the medication except something for his allergies and something that, hopefully, will help strengthen his bladder. Farley has been through two major surgeries and sepsis so I’m sure he needs the rest.

Please keep Farley in your cocker prayers.

Back