fiesty, stubborn cocker puppy

lyndor

Hey there,

have many of you found that your cocker spaniel puppies were fiesty - barked a lot at other dogs and snapped unprovoked? He's wonderful with people but I think he just gets overwhelmed with other dogs?

Hints and tips welcome - thank you!

Hoshi was a feisty puppy towards our older 14 year old cocker. He wanted to play and roughhouse which is normal for puppies but Gabby didn't like it. Hoshi didn't snap though. Gabby did snap at Hoshi because he didn't want to play.

Hi lyndor -- I have a 4 month old cocker and he has started to bark a lot more than he used to and basically at every person or dog he isn't familiar with. He hasn't snapped though. We don't want him to be the barker of the neighborhood (it's especially bad outside in the yard) so we say no and sometimes have to hold his mouth closed. I would love to hear some tips on how to settle him down and relax!

This happens alot when dogs are separated from their dams too soon and/or are not well socialized with well behaved other dogs. A GOOD puppy class with other dogs of similar size can help tremendously. Play dates with other well mannered dogs who enjoy puppy time can also help.

What NOT to do - going to the dog park and letting your pup have further negative encounters with other poorly socialized dogs.

For stranger anxiety ....
Getting good rewards from random strangers who look different - can help neutralize stranger anxiety. Enlisting friends or even strangers at Petco can help provided you control the situation and are only rewarding good behavior. All dogs need to learn that various people are good - they dont generalize well. So pick people from different gender/size/ethnicities. People in weird coats/hats/sunglasses. Wheelchairs and umbrellas as well.

I second a good puppy class. Ours ended the class with the puppies separated by size and then a good playtime. The trainers kept a close eye on the pups and adjusted the groupings as needed. Until they've had all their shots the puppies shouldn't have interactions with non inoculated dogs but I found going to Starbucks and sitting on their outdoor patio to be good. I had treats for people to give the puppy and that started them thinking that strangers are good things. There is also an upscale outdoor mall not too far away and we used to go walk around there to expose the puppy to other people and experiences.

The age appropriate puppy class is a great idea!! They typically run only for a series of weeks and you can always re-enroll them in a second one or a starter obedience class for additional exposure. At home, I would try mat conditioning to teach a dog or puppy to be less reactive. Taking the puppy places and exposure to new positive experiences is also necessary if you want to be able to take your dog into new situations they need to be de-sensitized in a positive fashion to new places, sounds, sights, etc. However, if you are out with your dog and there is something going on that you think will completely overwhelm your dog...leave. On the other hand, if there is a person in a wheelchair, or who is really tall and they stop to admire your dog---- then giving that person a treat to feed your dog is a good idea (if your dog isn't freaking out). Some trainers do not want their dogs interacting with people when they are out and about with their dogs and I don't really understand why. That person in a wheelchair, a really tall person, that kid with a crutch holding a broom or on a bicycle....see them as training or conditioning opportunities and ask them to give your puppy a treat or two!

Back