first attempt at grooming

Nancy Piechota

Owned by
5 cockers
Here is a picture of Freddy, who was my first victim at grooming. He was a good boy and let Mom learn. By the fourth one, I should be better. Thanks to Linny for advising me on what equipment to buy.

000_1259.jpg

Last edited:
Namcy, he looks great! And just think of all the money you will save now :) What kind of grooming equipment did you get?

well, not bad Nancy, but HIMS NEKID

take your scissors and trim off the little do-hickeys on ends of ears.

Thanks Linny I will. Of course he is nekid.

Mike - I got the Wahl cordless clippers, Geib Shears and the grooming table with arm. I also purchased the nooses.

I have to say that I didn't do too bad for my first attempt at actually grooming. He did a get job for me on the table. Thank you Linny for all of your help

Looks pretty much like Merlin now - all nekkid! :) 'cept I saved Merlin's ears.

Scoutster bud.JPGtoyboxbed09.jpg
Looks better then my first did I left razor lines in the hair. it takes practice but to master the ears with the clipper he just needs a trim with the scissors on the ears and when doing the toes I pull the hair up from between the pads and then snip with the scissors. I had to make my boy nekid about two weeks ago I couldnt stand to look at him anymore. He has straight hair that doesnt lay right when I let it grow long. My girl only goes nekid from about April to Nov. She has the cocker wavey curls and just gets thinned out using the clipper guards/blade attachements on my Walh cordless.

Not sure if the scissors you got are straight or not but the best advice I got was to get a pair of curved scissors, work well on my boy who doesnt allow clippers in the groin region.

LOOKS GOOD!! I've been hacking on my two for awhile now and just today figured out how to shave the head!! LOL I've been trying for a top knot, but that just wasn't working. The more you do it, the better(and easier) it gets.

You'll get the hang of it! I groom all of mine. I have to...with 6 right now I'd be broke heading to the groomers!

You did a fine job, and I'm sure he loves it. I keep trying. I'll never be a groomer, but having two cockers professionally groomed here is about $120. I can't do that every three weeks, so if they're not perfect, they're not perfect.

You did a fine job, and I'm sure he loves it. I keep trying. I'll never be a groomer, but having two cockers professionally groomed here is about $120. I can't do that every three weeks, so if they're not perfect, they're not perfect.
Cindy your babies do look perfect! I know how much work it is to keep them in coat like you do.

When Robin first sent me Stormy, I decided to let mine grow out... well.. that lasted till I found the first matt under Stormy's front leg.. off it all came!

Good job! I'm learning too. Peekaboo is a lady about the whole thing. She's very easy going, kind of like a ragdoll when you try to groom her now that I have good clippers! We sit on the floor and it' s off to the races!!

I charge $35 for a cocker unlessin show coat then it's $60.

Wow!! It's like 70$ here for a 5F and scissored legs!

that's why I went out and got some good clippers! Now I keep her under-ear short and do her little face more often! 35$ eh? Wow!!

Looks much, much better than my first grooming attempt! Poor Quigley didn't want to go outside for days LOL

Glad you gave it a try. I had equipment about a year before I got up the nerve to try. The first time I put the clippers on LadyBug and some fur came off, I screamed. It scared me as well as LadyBug.....I'm not really good at it, but I like doing my own. I can take my time and let them rest.....They are all very good for me.......It is just a skill that takes practice, practice, practice. Marlys Gallagher was my grooming mentor and she let me try about everything. I will always "still be learning" as all three of mine have different things about their coats that are either easier or harder for me to do......Keep at it and it will be easier......I've been doing LadyBug for about four years plus as she will be seven next Saturday..... I was grooming Molly Bee as well. It took me about two years or more to get up the nerve to do nails, but Robin helped me do that. She was doing nails as a service at an AKC Event and a very old couple came by with a very old dog and extremely long toenails. The lady was a retired nurse and still didn't have the nerve to do them. I watched and thought.....would that be me years down the road.....so when I got home, I put one dog on the table, grabbed the nail cutters and did all three right then and there. The dogs were stunned and looked so surprised. I didn't have MiMi then but she gets her fair share now as well. I've made Suzie and MiMi's nails bleed, but all lived through it and are still breathing. Don't give up.....I am still cheerleading myself. Joyce

I can take my time and let them rest.....They are all very good for me.......It is just a skill that takes practice, practice, practice

Working at your own pace is nice. I didn't want to take Gabby to just any groomer because of his bad legs. He was old with painful joints. By doing Gabby at home I could take my time and make it easy on him.

Back