First bath

mario2000

Owned by
1 cocker
I gave Twister his first bath today in our tub. He was cool as a cucumber. Didnt have to hold him or keep him from jumping out. He just seemed laid back, as with almost anything. Didnt care for the blowdryer. So Im letting him soak up the raise on the couch instead. Next up, a good brushing.
I cant say I had a good experience washing our persian cat Garfield. I have scars to prove it. Like trying to juggle a cactus.

My Apollo hates being dried! I just towel him off and then put a towel on the floor and he'll sprawl out on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I only bother with blow crying during the cold months. Cordelia will tolerate it, in short bursts. I just use a human blow dryer, on the no-heat-whatsoever setting. Not all hairdryers are so equipped, but if you have hot flashes..

The towels made by Aquis are expense but worth it. I use them on the
Dog, as well on my own hair, which is just past elbow length. These suckers really do absorb a ton of water. I make no money or swag from this recommendation.

I use the dryer with the heat setting off, mainly to do we paws and a bit of the ears. Missy's coat is so thin and silky she dries quickly. Apollo with his wooly coat on the other hand...

Like Deborah, I dry only during the cold months. I use a conaire .. I don't have a pet dryer yet either.. I keep talking about getting one but haven't so far.

I always start on low speed and cool temp,working up to med heat and then high speed. I do not even let the air hit them and just move it around them till they get used to the sound,then slowly start blowing for a few seconds,removing air when still and keep working up on time,speed and heat.They do not like it at first but I just keep going,they get use to dryers pretty quick. If they pitch a fit and you quite drying they learn fits will remove dryer. Work slow,consistent and desensitize them to dryers and clippers. When first starting with dryer or clipper I have someone stand and feed small treats for being still and good.

Amelia is great to bathe, dry and clip. The breeder started them out with baths etc when they were about 4-5 weeks. She stands on the table when I blow dry the out side then she lays on her sides so I can do the undersides. I have even done 2 dryers one on each side when I have help. Fenway does not not like the dryer very much, he will stand there but moves a lot. He does not like to lay down, it can be a challenge but I get it done. He never did like it even as a pup, still worked with him though, glad Twister did great in the tub.

Gosh I'm LOVING this thread!! I thought you always had to dry them to the skin or they'd get some dreaded skin disease immediately.

as far as drying, if I'm drying w/a hand dryer, I use yummy soft foods in 1 hand and the dryer in the other. food is only given when the dryer is pointed their way. Or, I use my metro dryer w/a cage attachment and give them a kong or some other yummies to eat in their kennel and then finish by hand.

Back