"Fixing" Boogie

Lu Bell

Thanks, everybody for considering to help me out. I am new to this forum. So, I have just decided to have my 11 month old Spaniel, named Boogie, castrated. I checked with a few animal hospitals and saw that they range drastically in price. My question is: What could make the prices so different and what should I look for in a facility that does that procedure.?

First vets offices do range in price. Some use stitches, some use a laser that heals more easily and quickly. Does the price include follow up and pain medication for your dog?

It's been a bit since I had this done to my boy. I'm sure there are others here who have a better idea.

Last year when I had my puppy neutered, I didn't even shop around. I wanted the peace of mind knowing that my usual vet office who knows me and my dogs
did his surgery.

I know you're asking about price but you should also consider reputation as well. Ask around about the vets you're interested in. Maybe you can find one with good prices and is highly recommended.

I would also add that I didn't shop around. I wanted my vet that I know and trust to do the procedure. I know he loves my dogs and has their best interests in his heart. I wouldn't have cared if it was the highest quote. He also told me what procedure he uses and why he thinks it's the best. Plus I also paid extra to get Farley's bloodwork done. I wanted the peace of mind of knowing everything looked good for the anistesia.

Ive just booked my cocker in for neutering, it's £132 ($205) which includes a pre op assessment, the operation, pain meds and a 3 day and 10 day follow up appointment. He will be coming home wearing a buster coller, but i have paid an extra £15 ($23) on top of the £132 for a body suit for him to wear, looks like a baby grow that fastens between his back legs, just to stop him rooting about and getting to his stitches. I had the bloodwork option, but my vet said with his breeding history, age and medical records he shouldn't need it and didn't mind if i refused (he had bloodtests performed by the breeder before he was registered with the kennel club UK.

Lydia I hope Boogie heals fast and is back to his normal self in no time, the body suit sounds interesting! Please take a picture for us to see
when Boogie is feeling better.

Thanks, I will do, Jarvis isn't having the op till June 11th as we're going to Egypt next Saturday for 10 nights, poor guy, we get back on the 10th then the day after he's in!!!! He's gunna hate me!! I hope he's going to be ok, worrying about it, but he needs it doing as he is constantly horny he's impregnating anything he can find!!! Lol

Jarvis was neutered yesterday, he also had developed a sarcoma between his front paw toes whilst we were away, so that had to be removed at the same time, its been sent of to the lab just to make sure its not a begnine tumour, also his anal glands emptied as they were infected. Now, his behaviour is troubling me, 12 hours after surgery he was still very drowsy and falling over, he wouldn't eat or drink and we had to syringe water into his mouth...I sat up with him all night and managed to get him to eat some wet cat food out of my hand, then early hours this morning i noticed that his scrotum sack was ENORMOUS!! and i mean enormous, it made me burst out crying..it too looked like it was going to burst !!!..the poor little guy is in agony, he's got this stupid great big cone on his head and he can't eat or move about with it on, so i'm going out this morning to buy an inflatable donut type one!!!..is his scrotum supposed to swell to such a degree????....he's also just sat in the middle of the floor whimpering and making small howling sounds...i feel like the worst mummy in the world right now..i've left him for 10 days whilst i went to Egypt on holiday, i come home and he's straight to the vets for all this surgery!!!..i just wish i could take all the pain away for him (he is on meds by the way)

Back