Fleas...HELP

Oh, I won't use the new stuff. Can't use It around cats that might groom your dog and Bonnie cat does like to groom Blossom and Squishy. Plus I have a thing about anything new. I want 10 years on market, with double blind studies. I wont use a bomb or a pesticide on anything my dogs might come in to contact with.

If I do find a flea, I take extreme pleasure in popping it between my fingernails. Hehehe.

I take a natural approach to flea control.. I buy food grade diatomacetous earth, dump the whole bag into a tote, then put my cats and Jada in it. It's somewhat of an irritant if it gets in the eyes or is breathed in, but is nontoxic. I love it! It works great. Not much of a preventative, but it does kill all the fleas present. It can be used to treat your yard for bugs too, but it is non-discriminatory - will kill 'good' ones as well as bad. I use it once a week or once every ten days, don't have a flea problem at all.. though I do have a very powdery dog for a day or two!

I've heard good things about diatomaceous earth. I didn't know it could be used like that.

We have always used Frontline plus and never had a flea issue, after Tasha 1 got sick we learned that we need to alternate her heartworm pill with the Frontline, so every two weeks she gets something. We also wait 3 days before and 3 days after for bathing, makes for a stinky dog, but since she sleeps beside me, I'd rather have a smelly dog than a flea infestation.

Thank everybody

so gizmo went to the vet for grooming last monday and they bathed him in medicated shampoo. while he was there i sprayed the yard and house with the adam's stuff to kill fleas and what not. Since then I have only seen 2 or 3 fleas on him. Still not all gone however much less and prayerfully they will be terminated when i give him his frontline plus treatment on friday.

so gizmo went to the vet for grooming last monday and they bathed him in medicated shampoo. while he was there i sprayed the yard and house with the adam's stuff to kill fleas and what not. Since then I have only seen 2 or 3 fleas on him. Still not all gone however much less and prayerfully they will be terminated when i give him his frontline plus treatment on friday.

I'm glad things are better. I've learned to accept a few fleas with frontline. Hoshi is coming in contact with them daily every time I walk him. I'm trying to be good about reapplying it every month when it's due. I think in the past I've gone overboard and "nuked" the house, so to speak, with chemicals. I'm not sure what the long term effects of doing that will be.

Back