Fleas

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I bathed Hoshi last Sunday and found one flea. Thursday morning he was scratching and I found flea dirt on him so I reapplied Frontline 2 weeks early. I dosed him early because I didn't want trouble with his daycare.

I'm spraying him and the house with a apple cider vinegar and lemon grass solution to keep the fleas away. He hated it! It doesn't smell too bad. I think he's picking up fleas from outside. Wish us luck!

I bathed Hoshi last Sunday and found one flea. Thursday morning he was scratching and I found flea dirt on him so I reapplied Frontline 2 weeks early. I dosed him early because I didn't want trouble with his daycare.

I'm spraying him and the house with a apple cider vinegar and lemon grass solution to keep the fleas away. He hated it! It doesn't smell too bad. I think he's picking up fleas from outside. Wish us luck!

Or, from the daycare Manuel. My vet said you can use Frontline every 3 weeks if you need to.

get some food grade diatomaceous earth. Make SURE it says food grade.

you can apply it in the yard. on his bed/couch & whereever he sleeps in the house. do a light dusting on carpets/flooring. and a little on his coat. then add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to his food for a while. they'll be gone quickly. eggs too. the DE dries them out. if you have HW floors try to sweep it into the cracks and remove the excess. In large amts, it can clog a vacuum.

get some food grade diatomaceous earth. Make SURE it says food grade.
I have 2 bags of diatomaceous earth (Safer Brand) but I'm concerned of possible injury if inhaled. I'm still debating this but will only use outdoors.

Even after reapplying Frontline 2 weeks early I found one on him. I gave Hoshi a flea bath Tuesday scrubbing him head to toe. Found dead fleas in the bath. I have more faith in soap and water than Frontline. I've been using the vinegar-lemon grass flea repellant on him. We're on day 2 and no fleas.

Day 3 and no fleas. He spent all afternoon with me in the back yard too. Polly, I think you might be right about the daycare. I'm going to spritz him with my homemade flea repellent before I drop him off Monday.

Day 3 and no fleas. He spent all afternoon with me in the back yard too. Polly, I think you might be right about the daycare. I'm going to spritz him with my homemade flea repellent before I drop him off Monday.
I hear all the time how Frontline is loosing its effectiveness, what is the recipe for your flea repellent Manuel?

I’ve also been hearing about Frontline no longer being effective. Last year we had a flea outbreak and I switched from Revolution and killed the fleas in the house. So far we haven’t had an issue (knock on wood).

It’s equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water with three drops of lemon grass oil. Unfortunately, our vet won’t give us Revolution.

Well if this is working Manuel. Why not Revolution I wonder?

2 weeks and no fleas! The apple cider vinegar/lemon grass solutions has worked great. Hoshi isn't scared of the spray bottle anymore. He just stands there patiently waiting for his feta cheese reward. It seems to keep his fur soft too.

2 weeks and no fleas! The apple cider vinegar/lemon grass solutions has worked great. Hoshi isn't scared of the spray bottle anymore. He just stands there patiently waiting for his feta cheese reward. It seems to keep his fur soft too.
Great Manuel! Has he been going to doggy daycare?

Great Manuel! Has he been going to doggy daycare?
Not lately. It’s been so hot and they don’t have AC. They been keeping him in an air conditioned area afterhours but not during business hours. I’ll wait till it cools down before bringing him back.

Glad the fleas are gone. I think I would wait until it cooled down before I took my dog to a non air conditioned day care also.

Manuel I ordered some lemon grass! What size spray bottle are you using? I plan on using a 16 oz bottle. So is 3 drops still good?

Back