Frequent yeast infections in ears

Bubba

My Cocker Spaniel has frequent ear infections. We have used oral meds and gentizol. Has anyone found a natural way to keep infections in control?

You can keep the inside ear flap trim. This increases air circulation and moisture evaporation. Use a standard #10 blade. Make sure and towel him/her off after walking in the rain or swimming. Problem ears can also be a sign of food intolerance. You might consider changing your dog's diet. I wouldn't routinely irrigate the ear canal unless your vet tells you to. If you do, turn the ear down towards the ground so the fluid can drain and towel dry.

If the ears look red, swollen, elicit pain or smell bad, please see a vet.

Manuel's advice worked for my dog. I shave her ears once a week myself--which can be taken as proof that it is not hard to do, lol. If the dog is outside in the rain and comes in damp....find a way to tie them back for like an hour afterwards to let them kind of air out and reduce the moisture in the ear canal, in addition to the toweling off.

You can keep the inside ear flap trim. This increases air circulation and moisture evaporation. Use a standard #10 blade. Make sure and towel him/her off after walking in the rain or swimming. Problem ears can also be a sign of food intolerance. You might consider changing your dog's diet. I wouldn't routinely irrigate the ear canal unless your vet tells you to. If you do, turn the ear down towards the ground so the fluid can drain and towel dry.

If the ears look red, swollen, elicit pain or smell bad, please see a vet.

Thank you. I have taken him to the vet several times and we do keep his ears shaved pretty close to allow for circulation.

Changing to a grain free diet may help. Yeast feeds on sugars, carbs are sugars. There are ear cleaners to control yeast also.

If the infections are yeast in nature, make sure you treat the feet too. they often pass the yeast back and forth via scratching. You can soak the feet in dilute 50/50 regular brown listerine for 5min or so a day for a week and it should clear up.

Also, I feed grain free, keep the ears dry by keeping them shaved close and using snoods for every meal. I also use the 'blue powder ear treatment' recipe you can find online. uses alcohol, gentian violet & borax powder.

food sensitivities can also be a problem. For instance, if I feed Teddy more than 2 meals of turkey in a row, I can smell the difference in his ears. So, it might be worth changing the protein you're feeding as well if you're changing to a grain free food anyways.

It is the nature of the breed if you buy otc ear cleaners from petco/ petsmart yry to get quick drying formula. My Charlierose has ear infections flare up a few times a yr. I clean her ears regularly just to keep an eye on the status also.

Bella used to have all kinds of troubles with yeast on her feet and ears.
We finally sorted out that she is allergic to chicken.
Once we eliminated that from her diet (difficult as I learned chicken fat is used in everything!), her body was able to adjust properly and we haven't had a yeast issue in almost 2 years.

Once we eliminated that from her diet (difficult as I learned chicken fat is used in everything!), her body was able to adjust properly and we haven't had a yeast issue in almost 2 years.
Lily how wonderful!

That's great!

Back