Grooming at home

GiGi1212

Owned by
1 cocker
I am new to cocker spaniel ownership. I have had GiGi for about 4 months, she will be one on the 12th. I use to groom my poodle, so I thought that I could at least manage trimming her between the times I take her to the groomer. The groomer I took her to said she behaved perfectly, she said she had never had a better behaved cocker, I even saw the end of the groom and how good she was. So when my husband and I try to just to do a little trimming she flips. I was finally allowed to trim the top of her head, but I could not get anywhere close to the ears. I showed her the clippers, let in run and put it next to her so she could feel it, everything that I use to do with my poodle. Is she possibly not behaving just because we are her parents, she is very attached to us! She loves to take baths and she lets us do that with no problem, in fact she jumps right into the tub. She allows me to brush and blow dry her and do her nails, and clean her eyes. The other thing we have tried is doing this every other night or two, a little at a time just to try to get her used to it. Any ideas what else we could try? Thanks!

Hi and welcome! Just a thought, if she allows you to groom and snip everywhere else, do you think possibly that her ears may be sore, an infection or something. If they are red inside or smell a little I would take her to your vet.

Is she maybe used to being on the grooming table? Do you have one? It could be simply that you are her parents and she's a little less sure what would happen if she misbehaved for a stranger. Maybe you could observe the groomer do your pup's face and see if there is any special technique she uses.

Since she did well for the groomer ask her/him how she did the ears.

Does she have this problem just when you are grooming her or anytime you touch her ears? If it is anytime then I would, like Polly, have her ears checked.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but I have had internet problems. She is sensitive with her ears but I have just had her checked and the vet said she didn't have an ear infection. I also have a local dog walker that I asked and she too thinks it could be because its mom and dad doing it, instead of a stranger. She is very attached to us both. She doesn't let me trim her in general but I can usually get her to behave just enough to get it done. I'm thinking it's just going to take time and get her used to doing it. I was able to successfully take some shears and trim a little on the ears. Thanks y'all!!

Most dogs are like kids, they are always better for someone else. hehehe

Back