Growing out his skirt.

charliesmama

Owned by
1 cocker
The day I brought Charlie home I had my mom give him his first cocker cut. He was soooooooooo cute! Nearly a month and several clips and snips later I have noticed that his skirt is all but missing. He's still got some "armpit" hair but the rest is the same length as his back. My mom has told me his puppy hair is just falling out and that he will have a wonderful thick skirt before I know it. I'm not to sure of this and I'm thinking Charlie has "puppy pattern baldness". Please let me know if this is normal or not. My mom is a groomer so I should take her word for it but the only furbabies she's ever own are German Shepards so I'm skeptical. Thanks for any words from the wise you can give me!

Hope, others will let you know, but, I have heard of pups blowing coat often enough. I don't know personally because my youngest was over 6 months when we adopted him.

He will be 12 weeks old on the 14th of this month. And these pics aren't the best I'm sorry. I hope they help out though.

Attachments

• Charlie 007.jpg
    Charlie 007.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Charlie 006.jpg
    Charlie 006.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Charlie 004.jpg
    Charlie 004.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 95
In my opinion, from the pictures and his age, I'd say he's patterning out. How thick and full were his dam and sire? Do you have pics of them? I knowe alot of pet cockers who just don't have the hair due to bad breeding ( I'm not saying he's a bad puppy). It would also be interesting to know if any of the littermates look the same or diff too.

I'll try and get pictures of Abby tomorrow when I go to work. As for Joe, he is no longer with us and Im not sure if his daddy would let me use a picture to upload but I will try. I've groomed Abby before and she has ALOT of hair. Charlie's littermates where all pretty much like he was when they were still together. They've all been sold for quite some time now so Im not sure what they look like.

Last edited:
I think I agree with Robin but I am not a pro like her. I would say that if he was going to have a skirt he would at least have a little there now at 12 weeks. Max had one almost from the day I brought him home but Robin said blacks have thicker coats so I don't know! It looks like a field coat to me though. He is still so so adorable Cute with or with out a skirt!!

His coat looks pretty slick right now . . . which leads me to think that he's most likely going to have more a field coat (not as full as some dogs, but also much easier to maintain). Has he been shaved at all? When you say Cocker cut, I expect a trim that does leave some hair on the belly and legs. But he doesn't have a fully correct Cocker trim anyhow, because the tops of his ears aren't trimmed either, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say a Cocker trim.

We didn't do his ears because he has allergies and he had dry skin on top of his head. He still has full ears. We did his back, sanitary, neck and upper chest.

Okay, I wasn't sure . . . there are many, many different understandings of what a Cocker cut is, so I thought I'd ask. My final answer is that it looks like he has a field coat . . . which means that he won't really grow a lot of hair on his legs and belly. The wonderful thing about field-coated dogs is that they're MUCH easier to look after, in terms of grooming and maintenance.

Aww that makes me sad. :( Oh well, he is still gorgeous and I'd love him if he were hairless! And with a 2 year old, a 6 year old and a 13 year old, (humans) less maintenance is always good! Heck we have to cut the babys hair twice a month, so this should work out fabulous! Thank you so much for helping me out! I've been trying to look up cockers with field coats but I'm not having any luck. I see lots of Cocker pups that look like Charlie does now but no pictures of how the coat looks when they're grown. Would you know where I could find a picture of a field coat. I don't want my mom to keep giving him a skirt cut if it's not going to be very long. He'll look silly.

Last edited:
The skirt can be all differet lengths, just not thick, full or as long as a typical coat. I know it's a little hard to see here but this is a rescue I have right now that has a field coat. I don't clip his back or neck, just his head, throat and ears. Usually the front legs have longer feathers on the back of the legs and on the rear legs there's some fringe in front of the thigh and it's sparse below the hock with some fringe also on the back of the leg. Hope this helps.
fostertuckerbod.jpgrescuetuckeat.jpg

I'm sorry if this is sorta off topic,but it goes with the field coat thing...Now I don't know if its just me,but I have seen more buffs and r/w having a field coat then blacks and dark colors?why would that be?

I'm sorry if this is sorta off topic,but it goes with the field coat thing...Now I don't know if its just me,but I have seen more buffs and r/w having a field coat then blacks and dark colors?why would that be?
That's a good question. I've never noticed it before.

Me either.. my black and white parti was field coated, and Robin's Tucker a brown & white parti is field coated.. All of my others have had thick coats..

Misty has a thick coat,and Franky seems to have a field coat,but its hard to tell on him,I didnt think Misty would be thick.Like I said,never seen the thicker coated buffs,maybe its the area you live in too??

Never fear cause there's always hope. Morgan was a verry nekkid cocker until he turned 7 years old. All of a sudden he sprouted a thick luxurious coat. Bad cause he had never had to get used to having the clippers used on him. Morgan was a buff.

Back