Health Tests

skylermum

Hello everyone! My beautiful English Cocker passed away earlier this year, and after careful consideration, we are now ready for a new pup and are eagerly looking. Can I ask a question please? We obviously want the health of the pup to be as good as it can be, so are checking what tests the parents have had. (We're looking on the Kennel Club and Champdog websites) I've noticed that quite a lot of the sires are tested for the main cocker conditions, but when it comes to the PLA test, it seems that most of the dams in each advert haven't been tested. Should both parents have had this test? Some of the sires have grade 1 ( or 2) so if the dam hasn't been tested should I wait and bypass these litters? Also, what if the dam hasn't had the full required DNA tests, should that also be a red flag? Thanks for your help

Hello and welcome, since I'm in the States, and, I'm not a breeder, I can't really answer your questions. I suggest that you attend some
Dog Shows in and around your area, talk to breeders ask your questions. You can probably also find a social media Cocker group in your
area, join, read, and, learn. Just remember a lot of what you read is personal opinion but, it's a start.

Back