Hello Everyone

cmac115

Owned by
1 cocker
I'm so excited to find a group of individuals that I can chat with about my cocker Molly!

So, hello all...

Here's my story:

We have a 6 year old cocker that has horrible ear problems. For years our trips to the vet only ended with the usual prescription of ear drops. This would always be followed up with instruction to use the drops and clean the ears out daily. We are getting tired of watching our pet grow uncomfortable and of the endless/ useless vet trips.
A few days ago we came across this forum with instructions on mixing at home ear solution. Hopefully this will allow Molly some comfort and relief. We are just a little apprehensive that the ingredients will not harm her. We want to make every attempt to correct this problem; however, her anatomy is changing in her ear. I have changed her diet (Science Diet's Natures Best) to not include chicken, chicken fats, wheats and others! Can you offer any further guidance??

Jen

I have her groomed about every other month. I have read through many posts and will try to trim around her ears myself. I really didnt think that could be an issue. This forum has taught me soooo much. :)

The most important place to keep the hair trimmed is around the ear canal itself. So even if you pay a groomer, I would ask if you could bring your pup in every 2 weeks just for a quick trim around the ear canals. It would take less than 5 minutes, and it would promote better air circulation around the canals.

I'm not sure if you're feeding her the Science Diet now, or if that's what she was on before, but with most Cockers, ear issues are a sign of allergies. Cockers tend to be very sensitive to grains and chicken, so I would suggest you try to find a good grain-free food with a lamb or fish base (or venison). It will cost more, but in the long run it should decrease your vet bills. Wellness Core is good, as is Merrick Before Grain, Taste of the Wild and Innova Evo.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

I just got Nature's Best by Science Diet its Lamb and Rice. Thanks for the other dog food names- my husband and I have been researching like crazy. Have you heard anything about 'beet pulp'? It's a filler in dog food?? From what I have read its not good for their liver/kidneys.... not sure.. everyone has an opinion.

Back