HELP! Grooming my own pups!

katie

Owned by
2 cockers
I am grooming my two cocker's myself and I am running into a problem, when cutting their back, how far down do I cut it short to start the longer hair on the legs and skirt. I am working on a show cut. I finish up and they just do not look right. Any suggestions, pictures will be helpful. TY! :)

Welcome Katie, Your two babies are darling! I'm Polly and I live with my hubby and our 3 boys in So Ca. You can check out our grooming section from the forum front page, there are lots of very interesting posts and stickies there. We have several professional groomers here including my good friend Robin. I'm unsure if she will be able to answer your questions right away because she is showing her pups this weekend. I know that if you are trying to achieve a show cut, the backs are not shaved at all, they are stipped, Kelly has some wonderful information again in our grooming section. Now when it comes to grooming the heads and top knots, Linny (Fostermom) has a short vid in that section also.

My three boys I keep short, it's just easier on me and on them. But all three of mine have wonderful coats that look great long. In fact my Stormy is a retired show boy from my great friend Robin.

Again, welcome! We do love pictures. Your posts will be monitared just for a very short while. We promise to approve them as soon as we can. :wave:

Just like Polly says, you strip the back for a show cut. cutting the length cut on the back or legs will ruin the skirt.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

For show styles, the back is handstrippes and contoured using thinning shears. For pet trims, you can shave the back with a longer blade (it helps to blend the line). If you aren't used to grooming a cocker in the full style, I would have your Groomer set the pattern line for you and then just keep it up at home yourself.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.536047,-81.184356

Back