Help! immune-mediated hemolytic anemia

katie

Owned by
2 cockers
Although I am waiting for all the tests results to come back, I am wondering if anyone has had a cocker that has Immune Mediated Heplytic Anemia? I am looking for information for how to treat it successfully, if there is such a thing. My Chloe, 7 1/2 yr female cocker stopped eating Monday pm. On Tuesday AM I noticed pale-white gums, was very low on energy. I took her to the vet Tuesday AM. and was informed that she has a fever. After bloodwork , X-rays, I was informed that it looks like she could have this. Blood has been sent to a lab for further testing and I will hear back today. She has been started on steroids, given fluids. Hours after this she had returned energy, has eaten, pooped, drinks a lot of water and urinates, her gums are still pale. Any information that anyone has will be greatly appreciated. What I have read on this so far seems very grim. I feel so concerned about my precious little lady.

I'm so sorry your little girl has IMHA. Yes, it's very serious. I would google it, and perhaps if you are on FB or yahoo groups do a search and join any groups involving IMHA. I would also visit Dr. Jean Dobbs website and see if she has any information on treating this holistically. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry your little girl has IMHA. Yes, it's very serious. I would google it, and perhaps if you are on FB or yahoo groups do a search and join any groups involving IMHA. I would also visit Dr. Jean Dobbs website and see if she has any information on treating this holistically. I'm so sorry.
Thank you so much! I feel so overwhelmed that i did not even think to look up IMHA groups! thats a great idea that I already put to use. ty !

My dog Riley had it. For a while he had to be on high doses of doses of steroids, prednisone and one other. I'm not home now to look and see what the other steroid was. After a while we were able to cut carefully down on the dose until he was on a very small dose of the drugs, one on one day and one on the next. After a couple of years like that we stopped the drugs entirely. Riley is now gone but he lived a full lifespan.

My dog Riley had it. For a while he had to be on high doses of doses of steroids, prednisone and one other. I'm not home now to look and see what the other steroid was. After a while we were able to cut carefully down on the dose until he was on a very small dose of the drugs, one on one day and one on the next. After a couple of years like that we stopped the drugs entirely. Riley is now gone but he lived a full lifespan.
Karen! I forgot that Riley had IMHA.

Back