Help with Barking

jennypelletier02

Owned by
1 cocker
My cocker SPAniel barks and my neighbor as me to keep him quiet. i know you could say poorly trained but i just rescued him.i don't know how to train him not to bark. please help don't know what to dp

Welcome Jenny. I moved your post as you're seeking help and will get more replies here. Let's see if we can find out the cause of your dog's barking. Tell your neighbor that you're equally concerned about your dog's barking and ask him/her when does the barking happen and for how long does it go on? I've including some helpful tips on barking below. Once you find the cause of the barking there are specific interventions that will help eliminate the problem. I've also included a link with a library of helpful tips depending what the underlying cause is. Check back with us. We can help you better if you give us more information.

Helpful reading:
Bark! Bark! Bark!
Dog behavior Tips

Jenny
Welcome! Manuel has given you some very good information. Is he the only dog in your home? Do you leave every day to work to work/school?

We do need more information to try to help you. Sometimes it's so hard to guess what a rescue's history has been. The why of things. But, we will try to help you as much as we can.

I wouldn't rush to use a bark collar . . . they can be pretty harsh and scary to a dog, especially if used incorrectly.

If we could get some replies to Polly's questions, we could probably give more suitable advice.

If you do leave the house every day, where is your Cocker? Crated, free run of the house, backyard, confined to a certain area of the house? Did your neighbour complain about one particular time, or is it an ongoing issue?

Geez, a bark collar is about the last thing I would recommend.

Positive reinforcement to begin with,

and if a collar is needed, a citronella collar would be better than one that gives a shock.

When mine are acting up barking, I pick up my super soaker and pump it up and threaten them. That usually does the trick.

If they stop, behave and don't start up again, they get a treat.

I suggest anyone who is thinking about a bark collar to first put it on your own neck.

Geez, a bark collar is about the last thing I would recommend.

Positive reinforcement to begin with,

and if a collar is needed, a citronella collar would be better than one that gives a shock.

When mine are acting up barking, I pick up my super soaker and pump it up and threaten them. That usually does the trick.

If they stop, behave and don't start up again, they get a treat.

I suggest anyone who is thinking about a bark collar to first put it on your own neck.

Oh Linny! GREAT suggestion!!!^_^

Back