Help with Daisy

NAA2586

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone,

Daisy threw up this morning (first time it was liquid; second time there was some food) and she didn't eat her breakfast. She has never not eaten her food. She seems extra tired. We called the emergency vet (regular vet is closed) and he said just to monitor her for a few hours. Any ideas? I hope she's okay.

I'm sorry Daisy is sick. Give her stomach time to settle and see how she does next meal. Sometimes I give a regular strength Pepcid which helps. If Daisy is still sick tomorrow let your vet know.

Is she pottying okay? Drinking water? Usually if I have a dog that throws up, I withhold food for a day but give access to water. Then I introduce food again and see how it goes.

Hope it's nothing serious, and that Daisy is back to normal soon!

I appreciate the concerns guys, thank you. She's been acting normal since about 2 hours post-throwing up. She's using the bathroom normally and drinking a little water (she's never been a big drinker). We're taking her to the vet tomorrow morning just to be safe.

Nick
Glad Daisy seems to be better. I think it's wise to take her to the vets just to be sure.

Just to keep you updated...

Daisy went to the vet this morning and she was x-rayed. The vet noticed some poop backed up in her system and proscribed Fortiflora. I suspect that this might have been caused by some rawhide that she ate over the last couple weeks. I didn't ask specifically about the rawhide because I didn't think about it until later, but I'm going to stop giving it to her to be safe. She has the most sensitive stomach it seems; anything can throw her off.

Anyway, she's seems fine now and should be completely back to normal soon. I really appreciate all of your good wishes and help. You guys are awesome!

"Fortiflora" I've never heard of that. Great idea though. Looks the the big companies are trying to cash in probiotics.

Fortiflora is actually a really good product - I wish it could be purchased directly, instead of just through vets. Those types of supplements can definitely make a huge difference. Jack Jack has a really sensitive tummy, but on digestive enzymes, he does wonderfully.

How often does he take them?

Fortiflora is actually a really good product - I wish it could be purchased directly, instead of just through vets. Those types of supplements can definitely make a huge difference. Jack Jack has a really sensitive tummy, but on digestive enzymes, he does wonderfully.

All three of my dogs get them every day in their supper meal (it's a dissolvable powder).

Interesting. Daisy might need that on a daily basis too. She took it once it worked very well, and then she was back in the same boat. I'll ask my vet about that.

All three of my dogs get them every day in their supper meal (it's a dissolvable powder).

Nick
I'm so glad Daisy is doing better. I know that Robin and Linny both mentioned Jeffers in a previous post. They have a wonderful selection there and the shipping is very reasonable. I just gave my crew a trachea today. They would be a great choice for Daisy instead of the rawhide.

http://www.jefferspet.com/

I bought the trachea and the knee caps. At $1 each they are a bargain.

To update you guys:

Daisy's been on the probiotic mentioned above for days now. She initially did not improve, and the vet had us feed her only white rice and chicken plus she proscribed an antibiotic to give simultaneously with the probiotic.

She's been on both meds for a few days now and she's not getting any better. She seems to have slightly less energy than usual and her stool is always loose now. She tries to poop multiple times on walks, but most of the time nothing comes out. When something does, it's very little and soft.

We're going to the vet this Saturday (our vet said we didn't have to come in earlier which I thought was a bit odd). Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any ideas of what could be wrong? I'm starting to get pretty worried about her.

Thanks as always...

Hoping your appointment Saturday gives you some answers. Now that the vet knows what doesn't work maybe he can find something that does.

I have a few questions for you Nick . . .

How old is Daisy?

What is she currently eating?

How long has her tummy been upset?

Is she eating/drinking normally?

My boy Jack Jack had what seemed like the world's most sensitive stomach for the first year and a half of his life (if not longer). No matter what he ate, he always had very soft poops and he never gained weight (I need his metabolism!). I found a food that worked for him (he had the best poops on it) and stuck with that, while limiting his treats to fruit and vegetables.

As he got older, his stomach improved. Now he has good poops consistently, and I can feed him almost anything. He still gets an upset stomach if I overdo it, but otherwise he's fine.

I never took him to the vet, because I knew it was just his system. To me it was almost like a food intolerance. I ended up with a grain-free, fish-based food for a long time (Acana Pacifica) and just recently changed him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison & Sweet Potato. For him, I think it was a matter of time (his body had to mature) and finding the right food.

Hope you can find what works for Miss Daisy.

1. Daisy is 2 years old.

2. Until the vet put her on chicken and rice she was on Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. When we switched her to this food, probably at least six months ago, we immediately noticed positive results. However, even after this initial period, she would have a spell of loose stool every now and then. For example, she might get into the trash one day and that would throw her off. Or, she might eat some treats that disagree with her and that would also throw her off. Something like that happened again about 2-3 weeks ago and she's been unable to get back on track since.

3. Her appetite is really good as usual, and she's drinking normally.

It took us a while to find a good food-match for her after we stopped feeding her beneful. The vet suggested that we might have to switch her again, but she hasn't given us any suggestions yet nor have we started looking.

I have a strong feeling that this problem was called by a couple of pieces of raw hide that she ate about 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe that has caused some sort of blockage, but maybe it's passed already. I don't know. Hopefully I'll know more this Saturday.

I have a few questions for you Nick . . .

How old is Daisy?

What is she currently eating?

How long has her tummy been upset?

Is she eating/drinking normally?

My boy Jack Jack had what seemed like the world's most sensitive stomach for the first year and a half of his life (if not longer). No matter what he ate, he always had very soft poops and he never gained weight (I need his metabolism!). I found a food that worked for him (he had the best poops on it) and stuck with that, while limiting his treats to fruit and vegetables.

As he got older, his stomach improved. Now he has good poops consistently, and I can feed him almost anything. He still gets an upset stomach if I overdo it, but otherwise he's fine.

I never took him to the vet, because I knew it was just his system. To me it was almost like a food intolerance. I ended up with a grain-free, fish-based food for a long time (Acana Pacifica) and just recently changed him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison & Sweet Potato. For him, I think it was a matter of time (his body had to mature) and finding the right food.

Hope you can find what works for Miss Daisy.

Back