help with growling

sandcastle97

Owned by
1 cocker
Renie is now one year old and he is neutered. He's been through puppy training and is for the most part a very obedient dog. He sits before going outside and waits for the command go. He also sits and waits to eat waiting for the take it command.

I've noticed twice recently when a child hugs him mostly on his lower half near the tail he will let out a low growl. No teeth and never has he tried to bite or snap. Other wise he is great with the children any child and welcomes their attention. Even allowing them to not only sit in his bed, but wiggle him out until he's laying on the floor beside them happily.

I've read some dogs don't like to be hugged. I can see why it could be upsetting for Renie. So if the answer is just don't allow hugs like that it is fine. I just want to make sure how to handle it.

Last edited:
For starters,

don't let kids hug him if he doesn't like it. Make sure the kids are told to NOT HUG HIM

and always be watching

Then, gradually teach kids and him

That is what I started doing today. I just wanted to make sure I was handling it correctly. He's wonderful in every other way and I don't want to create problems for him or us. He is never left alone with the children. Not because I don't trust him, but I want to protect everyone including Renie. Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Just because he is a Cocker doesn't mean he can't have issues with his hips. It could be its painful. If it is not a physical problem, maybe he just doesn't like it...which is ok...I'm not to wild about kids hanging on me either :-O

Just the same, the advice I give parents and people who have grandkids is ... kids have no idea how hard they hug or hold pups and dogs. Kids and dogs should always be supervised. No exceptions.

Thanks everyone, I feel much better!! I do always supervise so their are no accidents. It obvious to me now I should have understood the hugs were upsetting to him.

He is going in for his yearly exam in two weeks. I'm going to have the vet check his hips then. If he seems bothered by them I'll move the appointment up. Thanks for the link. I printed it out and will be using the advice. I've been doing a lot of reading today and I'm learning quite a bit on the subject. I just wish I would have caught on sooner that it upset him. I didn't get it until today.

Just because he is a Cocker doesn't mean he can't have issues with his hips. It could be its painful. If it is not a physical problem, maybe he just doesn't like it...which is ok...I'm not to wild about kids hanging on me either :-O

I was thinking the same thing, maybe he has a tender area on his back or hips.

For some dogs hugging can be seen a bit of a threat. If the hug was quickly done it may have startled him.

My girls are generally pretty good with all kids and Hannah even had one little one try to pull her closer by grabbing her eyebrow, she sat very still and cast a panicy look at me ( I was very proud of her).

I always tell a child they have to ask their mom/dad first and the girls have to be in a sit.

Today was a much better day. He was around the children again with the no hugs rule and was back to his old happy self. Little nubby tail going crazy when he saw them.

I am going to mention the hips first thing at his appointment. Better to rule it out then have my boy suffer.

I just wanted to stop by and update everyone. Life is back to normal. His only problem was the hugging and with supervision and teaching the children problem solved. He is back to his cuddly kissy self with them. Thanks to all!
Our vet appointment is on the 13th and I'll let everyone know what he says. So far I haven't seen a problem, limping etc... I still want to rule it out.

Everything checked out fine at the vets. They also said how much they love him and that he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Since they stopped hugging him from behind, everything has been fine. We're back to a happy family.

great news.. and yep, if a cocker wants a hug- HE'LL wrap his little arms around your neck and ask for one.

Thanks for checking back with us. I'm glad everything is going well. Don't you just love it when people compliment our fur babies. ^_^

I've been working with Renie since last week going over some of the things we learned in puppy class. We've been walking more and getting back to basics. I can't begin to say what a difference I've seen. I've had my 4 year old feed him each night, which I believe has helped their relationship. They've always been close, but I believe it's fostered a new level to their relationship. I think I just took for granted that we we finished class and it would all just magically stay. He is much happier with basic rules being enforced and with the added activity. We had gotten a bit lazy over the winter and I'm embarassed to admit the pattern was easy to keep. I will not make that mistake again. He needs the exercise and it was unfair to him. Things are calmer now with everyone understanding the "rules" of the house. Dog, children and parents included. Here is a picture of Renie and my 4 year old son Matt watching tv in the morning. Thanks for all of your help!!

MattandReniewatchingtv.jpg

Last edited:
LOVELY picture . . .

Dog skills are like any skills . . . they fade from disuse. Everything must be practised to be maintained, and involving your 4 year old in the daily care and training of your Renie will help the dog respect him immensely.

Back