Hi there

augustwater

I live in Portugal, but was born in Brazil. When I was a kid I wanted to have a dog, specially a cocker spaniel, but it just never happened. Now that some very important things are happening in my life, my wife and daughter insisted on having a dog, and asked me which to choose. I said I didn´t want one living with us because of the cares it needs, but would choose a cocker. They contacted a breeder and arranged for bringing a boy home tomorrow (I think a red 3 month old). I´m very excided about it and I can´t sleep. I´m gathering information in order to do things properly. Hope I can find help in this forum if I need.

How wonderful. Talk to your breeder, perhaps find a local Cocker Club, or even an all breed club. Find a good vet. There are some great books available on raising a puppy of your choice.

Here are some of the things I would do.
Get a Crate for your puppy to sleep in. You might have some sleepless nights to begin with, but, in the long run it's a very good idea for the safety of your baby.
Talk to your vet about shots, and do your research online.
Get some baby gates to close off areas for your little guy so you can keep him safe.
Be sure to get a collar, an id tag and a leash.
Keeping him on a schedule is very very important. House Training will be easier that way.
Get yourself and your little guy into a puppy class. You will learn so much.
Talk to the breeder about food. Don't change his diet right away. You don't want ot have to deal with upset tummies while he's settling in.
Get a few puppy toys and teething toys for your little guy.

Get online and do your research. I can't emphasise enough how important that is. Your breeder should also be a guide.

There are a lot of cocker and other dog people on FaceBook. If you are on FB, you will find lots of help there.

Back