Home Cooking for my dogs

I never go with what the bag says either. Each dog is different. The raw diet keeps the dogs leaner. I recently had to cut way back on the goat's milk that Fenway was getting, he started having loose stools. The meat he is fine with. I know he can have turkey, he is not allergic to that. So I cooked turkey and sweet potatoes for him, to add with his beef. I cooked on very low, when all was cool I put in ice cube trays to freeze. I can take a few out thaw and freeze. Amelia is allergic to turkey, for her I will get some beef and cook it the same for her, she is eating the Fromm beef kibble.

Polly, is it necessary to use all the veggies listed in the stew? I'm thinking 2 or 3 would be all right, or do they need more veggies than that for vitamins, etc.? Also was wondering if you use the whole chicken or the thighs? I put in all the ingredients in the grocery store where I do online shopping because they deliver to my home as I can't shop by myself because of my mobility issues, and it came up to about $38. Does that seem like a lot?
Lori I use the frozen normandy mix which has most of the veggies listed... and I don't really find the home cooked much cheaper than over the counter foods, to me it's just safer. I buy the big industrial sizes of frozen veggies.

I'm making Puppy Stew this afternoon! I used chicken breasts since that is what I bought on sale. Hope it turns out! :)

Just fed them their stew and by the way the woofed it down, it was a big hit! In hindsight, I maybe should have used it for a topper for a couple of meals on top of their kibble instead of a whole meal, but hopefully their tummies will tolerate it. I do rotate their food quite often and they don't have any issues. I didn't add any supplements, but I do give them fish oil/coconut oil later in the evening. Should I also give them some other kind of vitamin? I read in the recipe to add 1/4 Centrum, which I do have, but didn't add it.

They are contently sleeping now, which makes me happy while I'm working :)

Last edited:
I have never added the vitamin when cooking. I know that high heat can change vitamins. I buy dogs chewable multis from a favorite suppliment site. Purtians Pride.

That's the same site I have used in the past too for my own vitamins. I just got a good deal on fish oil last Sunday. I need to get some more vits so I'll get the dog vits too! Thanks, Polly :)

Not wanting to sound negative but I would go slow so their systems have a chance to adjust, it is totally different than commercial food and they digest it differently. I tried the home cooking three years ago because of seizures, I took a couple of weeks and still we had issues. I did not use this recipe but one similar. Yes you need supplements, depending on if you use commercial with it. They need vit/min and bone meal plus a few other things. Any supplements should be added after the food has cooled, heat kills the good stuff.

After three years of research I believe what happened with my two is pancreatitis, I did not take the skin off the chicken nor drain the fat. That is not an issue with most dogs but those with GI issues may have trouble. We have just started with raw food last month and I am a nervous wreck. I wish I had the guts to try cooking but I don't, my boy is way too sensitive and has too many problems, balance is too critical for him.

Good luck, just go slow, do some research and hopefully you will have happy, healthy campers.

Sounds like you got it covered, good job. I wish mine had tolerated it , or rather that I had got some help before doing it, it is good for them .

Back